1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

single wire confusion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by grizzly, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grizzly

grizzly Legend

Aug 27, 2005
    I'm moving into a new condo soon probably and have a few questions.

I'm a mixed family. I have a couple hr-10 250s, a SD tivo, a HR20 and some h20s.

I've seen discussion of several types of ways to wire on some of the boards. I'm moving into a 3 unit condo building. I have directv for cable/tv and RCN for cable modem.

From what I read of the new MH2, I have to have swm capable units (The HR20 and H20s) and I;d be out of luck with the HD and SD tivo.

I remember seeing something on their annual report about something else where you had a central distribution and then you had boxes(units) that plugged into the single wire coming into the unit too..

Inquiring minds.

Kevin

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It depends on what the condo has available for you. Contact them and ask.

If they do not have any existing DirecTV service, then you will have to arrange for your own dish and wiring. How that is done will depend on the condo rules and other factors.

SWM is just barely starting to become available. Not sure if you could get one installed or not.

Carl

3. grizzly

grizzly Legend

Aug 27, 2005
    Its a new gut rehab condo. There is no condo association at this point and I can pretty well do what I want.

Mostly, I want to do it as clean as possible and don't want to have to drill holes in the walls. I want to use existing wiring as much as possible.

My question was to what options are available.

Kevin

4. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    SWM will work but to use only exsisting wiring you will have to ditch the TIVO's HD and SD. Upgrades should be available to D-12's, SWM capable SD DVR's (not sure which model this is) , H-20/21 ,and HR-20/21 that will work with SWM.

Doctor j

5. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    R16

6. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Which is not yet available, and no announced date.

Carl

7. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If the place is gutted and you really have the option of doing what needs to be done, then I would strongly recommend you wire for what is available today. Put a 5-LNB dish on the roof. Parallel a couple of WB616 multiswitches, and run four lines to a central point in each condo. That gives each unit full capability of doing what they need. Wire each condo back to that central point.

Add another coax for cable, and another coax for OTA if you want that option.

However, SWM will be available, and it would sure be cheaper and easier to wire for that. As was noted though, that will not support any legacy equipment (Tivo for example). Only the newer receivers/dvr's.

Carl

8. grizzly

grizzly Legend

Aug 27, 2005
    The swm part I understand, but I remember seeing wiring diagrams ( I think it was in some sort of DTV annual report) that had single wire to a box that connected up to legacy equipment...am I imagining that?

Kevin

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That might have been a MFH-1 MDU system, which I think uses stacking technology. It is not compatible with the Ka-band satellites at 99 and 103.

10. grizzly

grizzly Legend

Aug 27, 2005
    Great. :mad:

I hate the DTV dvr units. I love my HD and SD tivos.

I don't want to have to run all that wiring through the wall like I have at my apt now, but it looks like I'm going to have to.

I don't suppose you could do a hybrid setup? Legacy stuff on the MH1 and new equipment on the MH2. Should there be lots of used MH1 equipment coming available as the transition happens?

:mad:

Kevin

11. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    If you have two cable going to your condo. You could put a stacked 101 system on one and a MFH-2 on the other. The stacked 101 will give you programing for your TIVO's and SD and the MFH-2 for your HD.:)

12. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Keep in mind that most likely within the year there will be no mpeg2 HD. Your HD Tivo will be an SD Tivo (other than OTA). If HD via satellite is important, and you want a DVR, you won't have an option. You will have to use the DirecTV DVR.

That could have an impact on how you decide to wire your condos.

Carl

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Older "legacy" units can be connected to a SWM, but not the FTM [SWM] ports. The SWM5 has two & the SWM8 has three legacy ports, for older receivers. You would still need to have a coax from each to your older receivers.

14. gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky Banned User

Jul 5, 2007
    That's very unlikely to be true given the large number of MDU's. MFH-2 isn't ready yet and it keeps getting delayed. Given how slow they are moving, I'd say 2 years maybe...

15. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Can you get 103 off of the legacy port???

16. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Some MFH-2 is out now.Some MDU install have it.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Legacy ports are for MPEG-2 [only] receivers, but 99 & 103 HD locals [Ka-Hi] come through the legacy ports, but not the Ka-Lo [so no national HD channels].

18. grizzly

grizzly Legend

Aug 27, 2005
    I don't care about the HD locals. Chicago has very good OTA and I get better access than DTV gives me.

I really like being able to extract the video off of the TIVO.

Kevin

19. gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky Banned User

Jul 5, 2007
    Mostly test deployments. I read 3 weeks ago one company was selling it on these boards, then I heard the gear was still stuck in Belgium. At this rate, it will not be widely deployed let alone 100% deployed for quite some time.

20. danielb6752

danielb6752 Mentor

Sep 9, 2006
    for a 3-unit building I wouldn't bother with any MDU type system. Lots of expense, zero benefit. Heck, even if all 3 units were to use D*, it would be a miracle for you to all agree to even share 1 dish instead of installing 3. :)

To "futureproof" you can buy a WB616 and budget 4 runs to each unit... and then in each unit, each owner would install a WB68 or SWM as appropriate to connect the equipment in their unit.

For today, maybe just run the 4 connections to a common location, then into your unit so the WB616 could be added later if appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.