1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sirius Satellite Radio Coming Back 2013?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by skaman74, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1 of 21
    skaman74

skaman74 AllStar

Feb 17, 2012
    Just saw this on wiki but probably just a bunch of bull...but here's hoping!

ForumRunner_20120805_013658.png

2. Aug 5, 2012 #2 of 21
    myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Yeah I don't buy that since there isn't even a citation on that. That, and it's location since it's underneath the references. I'm sure it'll get removed pretty quickly.

I hope it's true though.

3. Aug 5, 2012 #3 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On the main Sirius-XM Wiki, it was added at the end of June, by an IP address at Windstream.

4. Aug 5, 2012 #4 of 21
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Congrats if it is true.

5. Aug 5, 2012 #5 of 21
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    846 sounds like a legit channel number... Here's hoping!

6. Aug 5, 2012 #6 of 21
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I'd like to see it, but most likely it is bull. This has popped up on Wikipedia in the past.

7. Aug 5, 2012 #7 of 21
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Wiki?

8. Aug 5, 2012 #8 of 21
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    And the truth comes out. Darn..I was hoping it was true.

9. Aug 5, 2012 #9 of 21
    espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    I've defected to Slacker Radio after the merger, prior to that I had XM for five years. From what I understood about reduction of playlist depth to sound quality post-merger, the only scenario which I would come back would be for the radio shows. However, most of which I listen to already have podcasts.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    They reduced number of stations and bit rate!?
    I have them on trial in my car and am not impressed.

11. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    When it was switched to SonicTap I said I do not care. Now that it is being switched back I still say I do not care.

How many actually listen to music through their TV provider? I have XM and do not need to listen to it through my TV. I can listen to it online and get many more channel choices.

12. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I listen to Pandora. It's miles better than Sonic, Sirius/XM, or any other of those crap providers they pay big money for. Directv should just ditch the music and save a ton of bandwidth.

13. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    The bandwidth for music is minimal - it is video that takes up all of the space. I do agree, though, that XM has gone downhill since the merger.

14. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Some folks have their audio system connected to the DirecTV reciever. I would have to guess there are far fewer people who have an internet connected device setup in their main viewing area just to listen to music. For some, it is a big deal.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Quite a few have their DVR connected to the Internet, I sometimes wonder how many do actually now that DirecTV is pushing it.

16. scott0702

scott0702 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Pandora app on D* is great. I use that all the time and my HDDVR is connected to my audio receiver. I also have a SiriusXM subscription which I also listen to just as much. Here is a thought. I wonder if D* will ever give us a SiriusXM app just as they do with Pandora in the extras menu. That way those that have an SXM internet subscription can use their D* receiver to push through to their audio systems.

17. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Music takes virtually no bandwidth. I know SiriusXM is using 128 Kbit/s per channel for music and 64 Kbit/s per channel for talk-radio/sports. Assuming DirecTV would only carry the music bits, if they were to carry about 60 channels (which I think is more or less what they have now too with Sonic), it would take up roughly the same bandwidth as 1 HD channel.

More importantly, they can put the music channels on satellites that aren't used for HD bandwidth, so in the end it really doesn't cost a whole lot, and it wouldn't take away bandwidth to provide HD channels to customers.

I personally love the music channels. I use it all the time with parties. As a matter of fact, I have three receivers, and usually my entire house is open when we have a party, so I just tune in all receivers to the same music channel, and off we go. (Only downside I have found is that the DVR will switch channels when you have 2 recordings at the same time, but I can live with that, just manage the recordings for that night before the party).

It is completely in sync in every room as well, something you won't be able to do with an internet-connected service like pandora, because each device buffers a number of seconds in to memory before it starts playing. Even within the same house and on the same internet connection, it is pretty much impossible to get e.g. your kitchen receiver and livingroom receiver in sync with each other using Pandora, or any internet-based streaming service for that matter.

I like the Sonic Tap music selection as well, but would not be opposed at all to SiriusXM. I have that in 1 of our cars.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Their stock is up today.

19. Hot Tub Johnny

Hot Tub Johnny Mentor

Feb 24, 2012
    I listen to sonicTAP all day when i'm home. I like it as a change of pace from the XM i have in the car and at work.

Both sonic and xm are way better than what time warner had.

20. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I have no interest in the music channels. I have an iPad with the SXM app, IPhone with the SXM app and a portable boom box that it slides into if I want to listen at home. I have never listened to Pandora or Sonic Tap.