1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sirius/xm for AT120 and up

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by karrank%, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1 of 18
    karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    Did AT120 and above folks get sirius/xm? I noticed the channels this evening and they don't seem to be in previews.

2. Mar 3, 2012 #2 of 18
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    What do you know - I have it too ! (AT120 sub)

3. Mar 3, 2012 #3 of 18
    karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    I'd mention where I discovered this little tidbit but for fear of the drive-by trolling and the banhammer.

4. Mar 3, 2012 #4 of 18
    JeffN9

JeffN9 Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    My saga with this:

A few weeks ago I made the switch from AT200 to AT120. Even though both the Dish website and the new Dish rate brochure that I had said that Sirius was included in the 120 the channels were turned off (in red) after the change. Thinking that it was just a mistake I decided to do what I thought would be a 10 minute chat the next day to get it fixed. Almost 2 hours and 3 different csr's later I was basically told that the website was wrong and the brochure I had must have been produced by a third party vendor that Dish wasn't responsible for. Even though it was clearly a Dish corporate brochure I decided that it wasn't worth any more of my time and planned to just live with the cd music channels. The only other minor problem I had at that point was that I couldn't get rid of the now un-subscribed channels in my music favorites list(known issue with VIP922). Last Saturday one of the DIRT members agreed to add the channels back to my account long enough for me to delete the favorite list. This was another 30-45 minutes of my time but it was worth it to clean up the list.

Then a couple of days ago I found out that the Sirius channels were now added to the 120, arrggg.

I had a feeling all along that it was just a communication problem at Dish. Whoever decides which channels are included in which packages forgot to tell the front line csr's about it so they could at least tell customers it was coming. From following this and some of the other forums I have read about lots of other communication problems so it wasn't a total surprise. Dish needs to realize though that not everyone is as understanding as me.

5. Mar 3, 2012 #5 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It looks like they flipped over on 2/29 ... DISH put them in Preview for a few hours then took them out.

http://www.mydish.com/perks/new-channels/
    SiriusXM Music Channels Wednesday, Feb 29th
    Channels 6002-6090

SiriusXM brings you 60+ channels of commercial-free music from every genre, live performances, exclusive interviews, artist-dedicated channels and much more. Welcome to the world of satellite radio.

Now included in America's Top 120​

6. Mar 3, 2012 #6 of 18
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Congats! Sirus/XM is the best.

7. Mar 3, 2012 #7 of 18
    tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    Didn't see the 6000 series in "all channels" until I punched in 6002 on the remote and then they were there.

8. Mar 4, 2012 #8 of 18
    Lou

Lou Cool Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Tres Cool.

Wonder if this means Dish’s CD channels will go.

There are a couple of basic stations missing from the basic lineup (under 6080), wonder why but what I really question is why 10 Spanish stations and none of the French? Why so many channels catering to our neighbors to the South yet nothing catering to our neighbors to the North? Yes I get there are more that entered our Country from the South but Spanish is still a nonfactor in many cities in the North (no stations in Cleveland). You will see French in areas closer to Canada, most certainly closer to Quebec and then there is Louisiana, which is officially bilingual. No I am not French but I do tune into some French stations once in while that come across the border or when I rent a car with XM. Its different and fun and isn’t that what this is supposed to be all about, variety.

9. Mar 4, 2012 #9 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's CD channels and mono AUD channels are there for the Muzak service. They are uplinked primarily to serve Muzak's commercial customers ... DISH customers just get them as a bonus.

A good question. DISH has a history of serving Spanish channels with the DISH Latino packages but they have not gone into other languages other than with international channels. The international television channels are limited based on competition and rights issues with US channels. For example, there are people who would enjoy a "British" international channel package but because of the overlap with US channels it is unlikely to happen. The same issues would face a Canadian international channel package with so much overlap between US networks and cable channels and Canadian networks.

For audio channels that have clearance to be aired in the US I see no problem ... it may just come down to an oversight. DISH's carriage began as a carriage of Sirius before the merger with XM - that probably influences the lineup. I see no harm in having the French audio channels carried.

10. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    It was known a while ago that this was coming. ;)

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I loved having the Sirius channels when I was taking AT200 - glad to have them back in the lower package. 6008 is my preferred.

12. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    +1

13. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    fyi: Drive a few miles to the west and you will find a full time Spanish station in Lorain county (I presume you meant radio - you do know ch 61 is Univision).

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I wish I could get the "AUD" channels without having to be in top-250, love ch 933, the 50's & 60's channel. They play songs that the commercial oldies stations never touch that were hits in the day but not in the top-10.

And no DJ's!!!! I could never understand why Sirius needed DJ's in the first place.

15. Lou

Lou Cool Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Yes Michael I am speaking about radio. Not aware of the station next door...it must be Low Power. Many Southern cities have several Spanish stations..full power...on the FM band. Outside of the Mega cities in the North. Spanish in not common in the North. All I am saying is it would be cool (I may go as far as to say fair) to have a token station representing our other neighbor.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    There are several Canadian radio stations that can be received down here in the greater Cleveland area that broadcast in French.

As for Spanish radio in Cleveland there were 3 bootleg stations operated on the West Side that the FCC shut down about 10 years ago. They even sold advertizing! I was able to pick them up as far south as Seven Hills and along I-480.

The Lorain County station is a non-profit station run like a college station. Technically full power but with a smaller coverage area. They are far enough west into Lorain County that you can't pick them up in most of Cuyahoga County.

WNZN 89.1 power: 2.2 kw, tower: 88 meters above ground level.

Coverage map: WNZN The transmitter is in Berlin Hts. (WOW, for a station licensed to Lorain, the city of license, is barely inside the coverage area!)

17. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    You should checkout IP "stations." There are a ton of them, many without advertising. One of the Avro stations from the Netherlands has a lot of American 50's, 60's stuff for example.

18. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    By far the best feature other than the music of the decade channels are the DJ's, with 60's being the second most listened to channel on Sirius XM of all the music channels. (as of June last year in one of the few tidbits of ratings on satellite) And those are carryover XM channels, and didn't really change for that very reason. If you think about it, if it was a wanted feature to not have DJ's SiriusXM would do that in a second, and reduce cost.

They even added a little more DJ'ing to 20on20 for that reason.