1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skrewt with the HR23

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by stringbob, Mar 29, 2011.

1. stringbob

stringbob New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    The DTV installers were here yesterday to get my dvr on the internet. It still doesn't work. My guess is there are a few things wrong:

1)The DECA BBA is NOT detected by my router, consequently, it's not on the internet. I have tried different ethernet cables and different ports on the Belkin, F5D8236 router. I also made certain the cable they split was from DTV as opposed to Charter (Internet)

Besides that issue, I think there's some stuff missing:

2) I think they installed the system as if I had an HR24 because there is no additional DECA box at the HR23. (I think I read that the HR23 does not have a built in DECA, so it needs an external DECA, in addition to the one at the router)

3) I also think there needs to be a band stop at each of the three D12s, at least that's what I've read.

I also have power-off-rebooted every device in the system, and restarted everything in the order described in this forum. I just want to be sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree here. Your comments as to whether I'm right, or wrong in my ramblings would be appreciated.:)

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Would help to see a diagram of your hardware/system, "but":
    Yes only the 24s [and now 25] have DECA internally, so all others need the white external ones.
    Yes any receiver without a DECA should have a filter to block the DECA from the sat input.
    Does the BB DECA show all three LEDs as being green?

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What's your whole HR, H, etc setup?

If you just want the net on the HR23 and DO NOT want MRV, then can you get an ethernet cord to the HR23?

If not, then you'll need that extra DECA you're lacking on the HR23.

4. stringbob

stringbob New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Sorry, folks. I assumed the detailed equipment info I put in the equipment list would populate the thread. I've since edited the signature. Here's my stuff:

1) HR 23-700
    3) D12-500
    SWM 8
    DECA Broadband Adaptor
    Belkin F5D8236
    MRV = NO

I started this thing trying to get connected with a Trendnet Wireless Game Port, but of course, the HR23 wouldn't get connected. Totally frustrating. I let DTV talk me into the DECA install, providing the opportunity for MRV in the future.

As for the DECA, power is steady green, cLink is blinking yellow and Network is not lit.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is because there isn't any other DECA for it to sync with.
    So, you need 4 filters [one for each D12 and maybe one for the SWM8] and one more DECA for the HR23.

6. stringbob

stringbob New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    OK. I understand the cLink issue now. However, I'm guessing there's still a problem with the DECA that isn't seen by the router, or do you think it's part of the missing DECA thing?

Thanks for your input. It's kinda concerning that the installers don't have the level of knowledge that you guys do.:rolleyes:

BTW, I don't think it makes any difference but I discovered I have a SWM-4, as opposed to the 8.

Thanks again!!

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    To my knowledge there is no SWM-4. If you have four lines coming from your dish, that's not a SWiM Dish.

8. stringbob

stringbob New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    There's a SWM PI in the house that's feeding a SWS4WB splitter. It also says "by SWM" on it:confused: Never mind. I just found a 4 port SWiM I'm not allowed to post links, but you can see it via a google search.

Looks like a single line coming out of the lnb. (there are actually 4 lines on the post, but 3 of them are clipped. Two of them are from a prior DISH installation.)

I called the install folks back to fill them in on what they should have known in the first place.:) Thanks for your help!!

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You've got a SWiMLNB and a 4-way splitter.