1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Angel forces Daystar off of Dish Line Up?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TNGTony, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 9, 2003 #1 of 44
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Sky Angel sued Dish Network several months ago claiming that they have exclusivity over those religious channels and possibly any additional Christian channels per agreement with Echostar. The courts agreed late today. I haven't found any news stories yet, but I received an e-mail from a frequent contributor about this a few minutes ago. I imediately tuned to Daystar and they were talking about how disappointed they were with Sky Angel and the fact that they (Daystar) were fighting this.

So...look for channels 9408 and 9414 to disappear from the PI line-up! BTW I beleive the clincher for Sky Angel was the fact that Dish came to a retrasmission agreement with Daystar locals in many markets to use channel 9408 nationally and move it to 119° instead of the local channel limited to the local DMA.

Daystar is available on Sky Angel channel 9713
    a FamilyNet LP affiliate from Roanoke is available on Sky Angel channel 9716 (Liberty Broadcast Network)

See ya
    Tony

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm watching "Celebration" on Daystar right now (1:12am). They are currently demonizing Sky Angel about "thowing Daystar off Dish".

They say they are "hours from being removed from Dish Network and maybe even Sky Angel".

They are talking about whom to contact at Sky Angel.

See ya
    Tony

3. TimL

TimL Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I wouldnt miss Daystar a great deal..Much of their programming is already seen on other Sky Angel Channels..It is sad when a battle like this has to be so nasty among Christian entities. A few weeks back there was a controversy about Gospel Music Television asking for Money for Sky Angel to carry them when Sky Angel provides all their channels free space on their system..All they ask is for on-air ad support.

Tim Lones

4. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    What kind of exclusive contract is it? If Daystar is on DirecTV, I see NO reason why Dish couldn't have it.

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    http://www.skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit has more information from the Sky Angel side.

BTW according to this program, Dominion remported that Sky Angel has 150,000 subscribers and Dish has reported 9,000,000 subscribers.

This is why Daystar is going to fight back.

See ya
    Tony

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Ogre, it was an agreement between Dish and Sky Angel in 1996 that said that Sky Angel cannot carry secular programming at the same time Dish could not carry predominantly christian channels excempt TBN, EWTN and Angel One. Check out the link in the post above.

DirecTV is not on the same system as Dish. This is the same type of contract that USSB used to have with DirecTV. DirecTV could not carry HBO, Viacom channels or other movie channels except Starz/Encore. And USSB could not carry cable channels or Starz/Encore. They also shared the same system.

See ya
    Tony

7. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Tony - do you know which channel #s will go away from EPG?
    Or will be substituted with some other channels, etc? (if so - substituted with which channels?)

8. JMikeF

JMikeF AllStar

May 2, 2003
    Yes, it seems they lose sight of what's truly important....

9. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Shame on Sky Angel, you think they would be happy to let others "spread the word to the masses" but now it appears they want to be the exclusive voice of God in the sky. :shrug:

I still would love to see The University Network (Dr Gene Scott) on Dish Network however I feel this will never happen as Sky Angel will claim that Dr Scott is a religious program.

And while Doc Scott may give his wacky sermons, I dont think it fits in with the Sky Angel Christan Belief formula especially when they show music videos with Doc Scott walking around with 4 or 5 playboy models attached to his arms looking at Horses. :D

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm trying so hard to care, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

11. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I have to agree with you Scott. It doesn't seem very "christian-like".

One has to wonder "if" and what sort of "action" DISH will take against Sky Angel. I don't think Charlie and Rev. Bob are getting along very well these days.

12. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Darkman, the channels affected are 9408 and 9414. They are still on right now. But unless Dish gets a Stay pending appeal, they were ordered off "immediately".

See ya
    Tony

13. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Thanks Tony...

14. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I sense that they will move to DirecTV in the future? (If they go, that give E* room for MORE LOCALS! :D The now defunct USSB used the DirecTV system like Sky Angel does with DISH. Moving to DirecTV doesn't sound bad. But MORE LOCALS! :D )

15. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Not quite, by law Dish Network (as well as DirecTV) are required to have a certain number of "public interest" channels in their lineup.

These channels will be replaced by other Public Interest channels, the space will not be used by new locals

16. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I meant if the WHOLE Sky Angel lineup left for DirecTV, not just those 2.

17. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    The Sky Angle service is not just a lineup, Sky Angle is its own DBS company. Sky Angle owns Transponder licences in the Sky.

18. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I know that, but what I mean is that if they decide to tear up the contract, transfer their transponder license to DTV, and just leave the empty transponders to DISH. (Of course, they would have to get another licence for them though. ) I am just wondering if their contract with Dominion is in Peril.

It is Sky ANGEL. If it was Sky Angle, it would be a distant learning service. :)

19. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    What Dish should have done is simply only turn on the "national" feed of the networks for subs that should recieve them for the LIL package. But, they obviously did not do that.

20. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    The transponder licenses are MUCH to valuable to do that. Besides, DirecTV doesn't have the room for the Sky Angel package.

Sky Angel plans on having their own up-link center and (someday) their own satellite(s). They do use Echostar's technology and if they were to change that all 150,000 customers would possibly have to get new receivers.

As for the contract, I heard that it was a very long term contract and part of that contract is that DISH gets to use most of Dominion's transponder frequencies (all Sky Angel channels are crammed on two transponders) and DISH would have to find room for a lot of (local) channels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.