1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sky Signal In The Us - Question?

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Baldur, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Baldur

Baldur Cool Member

Dec 23, 2003
    My brother lives in Mexico and is a current subscriber to SKY MEXICO. He wants to get a subscription for me, but he wants to know if I will be able to get the signal from SKY MEXICO, located in PanamSAT-9. I live in Maryland.
    Thank you for your inputs.
    Baldur

2. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    According to http://www.lyngsat.com, Sky Mexico is on Ku transponders 13 thru 24 from PAS-9 at 58 deg. west longitude. It is beamed tightly westward to cover Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean, with some signal spilling into Florida and southern parts of Texas, Arizona, and California.

It does not appear that you can get any of this signal from your location; not even with a very Big Ugly Dish.

See http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/pas9_ku.asp for the coverage maps for the PAS-9 Mexico beams.

"justalurker" will tell you that it's "illegal" anyway, because of his interpretation of an FCC rule for licensees. Besides, you might have to lie to Sky Mexico about your actual service address.

3. Baldur

Baldur Cool Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Thank you again! I hope someone is doing the same around the area besides that guy at NJ so I can get his/her opinion. About if it is illegal or not, I will have to do a little reseach.

4. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    It is technically illegal. Just like it's technically illegal for me to watch my PURCHASED DVDs on my Linux box. Anyway.........