1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by dpeters11, Nov 17, 2011.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So what does everyone think? I'm on PC, and agree the interface isn't very good, but know that will be changing. I've heard people are already working on that in the community.

Double wielding? Pretty cool!

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I would also like to hear a few opinions. I would buy it for Xbox or ps3 however.

Kevin

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm having a lot if fun with it, but you do have to know what you're getting into. It's a big game, and unless you use fast travel, a lot of walking. I prefer walking. Lots of little changes from the previous games.

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I'm more of an action type gamer.

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    even as a thief, it's pretty actiony.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, there is a lot of action, but these games are basically an entire world. Buying and selling, looting, killing bandits, questing etc. It's a fairly unique type of single player game. Of course once you discover a place, you can fast travel, but half the fun is discovering new places as you travel.

7. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Have put in a few hours, and totally enjoy it. The world is bigger than Oblivion, at least it seems like it to me...

8. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I've got 4 or 6 hours in so far, and I agree it seems bigger than Oblivion.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I've been hooked on the series since Daggerfall, and Skyrim doesn't dissapoint, IMO. At least so far, it doesn't.

I haven't tried dual wielding anything yet. I generally play as a thief type player, so I sneak alot, and snipe from afar with my archery skills. I might have to create a brute just so I can run around with two swords hacking to bits everything that stands in my way. :D

9. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Alas, I became a Mac owner last year. So PC gaming has slowed down quite a bit. I don't want to spend money just to put Windows on my Mac though Parallels or the like just so I can play games.

I'm hoping Skyrim gets ported to Mac soon. If not I wait for Diablo III

Last new release for me was Dragon Age II.

I had a friend who played Oblivion, and saw the previews/demos of Skyrim and it looks Great.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think there are unofficial ports, but I've never heard of them done by Bethesda.

11. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I started as a Nord warrior type, wearing all heavy armor and wielding a two-handed war axe...did lots of damage! Now, after completing the main quest, I am working on some light armor/archery skills as a thief. Still having fun with it, and I know I haven't even found all of the locations.

12. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I haven't even started on the main quest, really. I went (without giving anything away to someone who hasn't played) to the point where you meet the leader of the blades.

From there I moved onto other things. You're looking at the arch-mage of the college, the Guild Master of the thieves guild, the Listener of the dark brotherhood. :) I'll probably move onto the main quest for a little while next, before finishing up some of the other minor quests.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One suggestion, if you plan on doing the main quest, or at least starting the main quest, do not neglect your archery skills.

14. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I hate to ask this, but Bethesda's games have always been crash-happy on PC's in the past.

This one run any better?

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have not had issues crashing, except once. However, I will qualify that by saying I'm using a 4gb LAA addon, though Bethesda has said they will do the same thing. I've also replaced a bunch of textures.

16. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Found a really bad glitch on one of the side quests in Markarth...if you enter the home with the Vigilant in Markarth, make sure you save the game before you agree to enter the home! If it glitches, you will be locked in the house with no way of escape!

Really stunk to lose about an hour of game play...

17. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Did you finish the things that needed to be done inside the abandoned house and it still stayed locked?

Initially I thought I was locked in with no way out, but when I did some exploring, there were some other things to do in the house, and when I agreed to do those, then I got out of the house... (without giving anything away :))

18. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    The vigilant never proceeded into the house, so it glitches there. I never had a chance to do anything else...

19. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    It glitched...I couldn't get out. I did finally kill the Vigilant, but then the entire world had the weird video like I was still in the house, and there was the constant rumbling/booming...only way to get it to end was to reload an earlier save.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Bethesda launched the Creation Kit today, along with a 3gb download of high res textures. Will download tonight while I uninstall all the texture replacers I have installed currently.

Both are PC only of course.