1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Slacker as a "Sirius" substitute for SiriusXM?

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Richard King, Feb 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    As mentioned before, I recently Wooted a 25 station 8Gig "Slacker" WiFi radio. After using it for a couple of days, I have become convinced that if I were a music only listener on XM that the Slacker would be a great substiute. I can load any of 25 radio "stations" that they program and listen to any of them at any time. They claim that the free subscription is advertising supported with 2 ads per hour. I have yet to hear an ad after many hours of listening (while working on rebuilding a house here). Anyway, so far I am very impressed. My only two complaints are that I have a problem hooking it up to the computer and it takes a couple of minutes for it to fire up when turned on. The first isn't really a problem since I can "reload" my station by WiFi. I don't think there's a cure for the second problem. So far, so good.

http://www.slacker.com/

2. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    I bought the same unit several weeks ago and have enjoyed using it with a few minor issues.

I set up a custom station, got it fairly well configured for my tastes, but unfortunately there's still a few artists that Slacker doesn't have available for me to add. They're in their rotation on their canned stations, but not available yet for adding to custom stations. They seem to be willing to hear the suggestions and requests, but seem a little slow acting upon them.

Otherwise, my only real concern would be the same as a co-worker: the battery life on the first generation 8GB units isn't the greatest. It's not horrible, but it'd be nice if it went more than the 8 - 9 hours that it seems to top out at.

3. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    As for certain groups I found a great function that I now LOVE. You can customize a station so type in the name of the band you want and they will give you that band and related ones. The related bands are very impressive IMO. I have one station entitled Live, they added groups such as Everclear, SoundGarden, CandleBox, Pearl Jam etc etc, which is exactly the type of music I wanted. I did the same with stations labeled Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Marilyn Manson, Beatles etc etc and they all came out great.

I also agree if I didn't listen to so much talk on the XM I would just go with the Slacker and dump the XM.

4. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    But what about mobile use? I find that I listen to my XM more in my car or on my motorcycle than in the house. Is there any way to use this in a mobile application?

5. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Yes they have an FM transmitter, much like some of the Ipod transmitters.

6. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    It acts just like an IPod in a mobile situation. All the stations are stored inside the unit and modified by WiFi when you are in a Wifi area. I used mine at the house I am redoing all day today, on one "station", and didn't hear a repeat or a commercial. So far I am VERY impressed (still).

7. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I haven't tried any custom stations yet, been too busy with other things.
    These are the stations I have programmed at this time:

1.Alternative
    2. Adult Alternative
    3. Singer Songwriter
    4. Indie
    5. Party Alternative
    6. 80's 90's & Today
    7. Oldies
    8. '60s Hits
    9. '70s Hits
    10. '80s Hits
    11. Smooth Jazz (non vocal)
    12. Smooth Jazz
    13. Jazz
    14. Classic Rock
    15. Party Rock
    16. '70s Rock
    17. '60s Rock
    18. Southern Rock
    19. Jam Bands
    20. Progressive Rock
    21. Rock Hits
    22. Rock
    23. '80s Rock
    24. '90s Rock
    25. Folk Rock

I just entered these rather quickly, and I am sure I will do some fine tuning in the next few days. I spent the whole day today though on Singer Songwriter and haven't even tried most of the channels I entered.

Time for you other Slackers to list your "stations".

8. pigskins

pigskins Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Welcome aboard, slackers!! Happy you could join the rest of us happy former satellite subscribers who are saving a lot of scratch!

9. jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm not sure about the mobile units, but the software version that I use has about 3 to 4 commercials per hour. Other than that, its a great player !!!!! Love that smooth jazz on Sundays !!!!!

10. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    My power was out for 2 hours tonite, it was nice to be able to listen to the Slacker to pass some of the time. I have found it may play the "hearted" songs a little too much though.

11. dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    I'm not willing to give up my Sirius but this is an interesting product. I saw where it is compatible with the iTouch. My question is why would I buy their player when for only a little more $ I can get the iTouch with double the storage and use the free plug-in (plus won't be a paperweight if slacker goes away)?

Is anyone using Slacker with iTouch or iPhone? If so, is there a difference using the plug-in versus their player?

12. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I've gotta admit, I love the online service!!! Good variety, and so far, better sound quality than XM's on-line service too.

Thanks for the heads up there, Richard! I'm gonna keep an eye on this...

13. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    I dropped Sirius after the post-merger music channel destruction. Slacker isn't a substitute, it's an upgrade, with way better playlists and no stupid DJs.

14. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    The more I listen to the web based Slacker, the more impressed I am with the sound quality! It has dynamics, which XM has not for quite some time; it has extended frequency response, which XM never had; it has superior separation to anything I've heard from XM; and the noise floor is well below audibility, which XM's dynamic compression also impacts. This could well be my way out of XM's price increases, if I can sell my Polk XM tuner and Alpine XM ready package!

Thanks again, Rich! Slacker is really impressive!

15. dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    How much is stored (length of time)?

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Going to try this out thanks for posting it. Too bad they only support RIM and I Phone at the moment. a Winmo application would be awesome.

17. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    I've got both XM, Sirius and Slacker on my iPhone. Of them, Sirius and Slacker sound 1000x better than XM. Like you said, XM is flat and lifeless while Sirius and Slacker just sound better.

I've done comparisons on XM and Sirius over the same inputs in the same car (mine) and every time, Sirius sounds much better. Slacker through the iPhone and into the car also sounds great!

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I bought the Slacker because I found it for $49 on Woot (first Gen unit). If not for Woot I wouldn't own it, simply because I wouldn't have looked at it seriously. I think I'm going to cancel XM for a long enough period to pay for the Slacker (4 months). After that time I may be back to XM if I find that I miss the talk channels (and Underground Garage) enough. The problem is that in Vero Beach through most of the day I only receive one AM station (for talk programming).

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I wish I could tell you. I have my 25 stations loaded and spent all of yesterday (about 7 hours) listening to one station with no repeats that I noticed. It would be interesting to find this out if anyone here knows.

20. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Mr. King Little Stevie and I will miss you at the Underground Garage :( Since I don't have a PC I couldn't use a Slacker even if I wanted to.