1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slashgear: Sirius XM to raise some rates March 11

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Jan 21, 2009.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    So let me get this straight - my family account radios will now cost what a standalone subscription cost 2 years ago?

3. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Greed plain and simple. Looks like I will be finally canceling my second radio. I will tell my uncle that the price went up and I can't afford it anymore even though I can I refuse to pay extra even for the online streams. He can live without his southern gospel music.

This is what sucks about this economy. People are losing jobs hand over foot and they are trying to cut expenses and what do these companies do they raise prices instead of making it more affordable.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    It's not greed, it's desperation. :eek2:

Funny I just got a postcard in the mail today offering to reinstate my canceled subscription for $6.48/month for the first year... if I pay it all upfront. No thanks.

5. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    ...if I understand this correctly your 2nd and other radios will go from $6.95 to $8.95. I can alsmost deal with this, it's the extra $2.95 to listen on-line that pisses me off. Another case of paying for something that was 'free'.

What was it Jim Morrison said...."...this is the End".:nono:

6. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I thought as part of the merger agreement prices were not supposed to be raised :confused: I guess may be they are getting away with it because it is on additional radios on the same account :whatdidid But I still think even this goes against the principle of the merger agreement. I don't think the online service was ever part of the merger agreement in any way, but I could be wrong about this.

7. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Looks like I'll be cancelling my wife's radio in her Tahoe in November and just be updating her ipod more often since she only has a 5 minute commute to/from work :D I am in my truck ALL day so I won't be cancelling my radio, but if we take a trip in her Tahoe I'll just put my XM box in and be good to go :D Good thing I wired both vehicles to allow for an easy transfer :D

8. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I have become more and more disapointed in XM/Sir after the merger. I am an XM sub since Dec 02 and always paid ontime and never had an issue. The first day the "best of" package came out I signed up (for the NFL). Not long after that they started to give away 3 months free. I have never once called to complain about a single thing, but hearing all the ads for free 2nd radios or free service for 3 months made me rather mad. I tried to get in contact with them and it went nowhere over the phone so i sent an email which said I should call them....rather frustrating. I love all that satellite radio does offer when you travel but it seems like they have lost track of their customers and what they want. I could care less about Howard, I listen(ed) to XM for the music and sports it offered no matter where I was.

As for the online sub, I think that is a rip-off. Years ago XM did charge for the online sub but that was when their price was 9.95 a month (I think), when they raised the fees they gave us online streaming for free. They also use to have the radio that worked in concert with your computer, only issue was people had learned how to record the streams off of it and then put the music on their mp3's. Needless to say the recording indstury put a stop to that radio pretty quickly.

9. Jin So

Jin So Mentor

Aug 2, 2008
    i have the online sub, when i signed up yrs ago, it said i was opted in and there was no charge, but i do pay for 1 radio, which is like 12.95/month, this is through xm

I do agree Sirius XM has is not what it use to be. To many chatty dj's.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I think this is a big mistake...the IP feed is sometimes the only way we can listen as the satellite signal is just a pain to get in Florida. I think they're desperate.

11. Stryker412

Stryker412 Legend

Jan 21, 2009
    Slacker Radio FTW! I got tired of my favorite channels after the merger and have no switched over to Slacker.

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    They'll be losing one, possibly two of my subscriptions. The one in my car stays. My girlfriend's Inno stays. The SkyFi2 in the bedroom might go dark and the not-used-very-often PCR will definitely go dark.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The "rumor" mill has this price increase as mandatory for the company as part of the financing packages they're trying to negotiate. It looks more and more than the NAB succeeded in their efforts to cripple/kill satellite radio by extending the merger approval so long.

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The merger approval rightly took a long time because they were asking to do something that they legally were forbidden from doing, and had agreed never to do.

The companies were also in violation of other startup requirements (such as the dual-service radio) and technical regulations (with the overpowered RF modulators,) and things like that look bad when you ask the FCC for help.

I can't help but think that several people made a mint off satellite radio and left the shareholders and public holding the bag. I may cancel my second subcription as a result of the increase, also.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Wow, I keep hating this merger more and more. I just found out that they are taking the Dialed in Nascar talk show that has run on XM for years and putting it on the Sirius Nascar channel, which, even though they mergerd 90% of the lineups, is still in the "Best of Sirius" package for extra money. Now, I can understand that having all Nascar stuff on teh Nascar channel is logical, they promised not to do this kind of stuff. So, inspite of all the promises, they are taking programming from one service and putting it on the other to scrape more money off people.

16. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    ...and the government took over a year to rule on the merger proposal which is against THEIR regulations (was supposed to be either 90 or 120 days).

Sirius/XM did nothing wrong. They asked permission to merge. They waited until they got permission.

The government (the FCC) DID do something wrong and they have yet to be called on the carpet for it.

17. pigskins

pigskins Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Cancel while you can still get a refund!!!

18. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Well the guy with the FCC that signed off on the merger is no longer with the FCC. And I believe the person that casted the "swing vote" in favor of the merger is also no longer with the FCC.

19. richzilla

richzilla Cool Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Iowa
    I 100 % agree with this post.

These companies need to wake up if they hope to survive.

If the business model is upside down they need to look at cost they control internally.

Passing cost on to the consumer at this time should not be an option.

This is a non essential. When the price goes up I'm dumping it.

They killed the main station I listened to. Buzzsaw.

I'm sorry but Boneyard is way too much like my local station.

Way too much Led Zep.......lol

I liked the on air personalities on Buzzsaw better as well.

20. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Find the FCC merger approval here. In particular, this part:

If you feel that this price increase violates what Sirius and XM Radio promised the FCC and their customers, I urge you to file a Form 2000F complaint with the FCC. You can do this online by clicking here.

As always, polite, well-reasoned complaints work better than rants. For example, here is the text of my complaint form to give you some ideas (but don't just cut-and-paste):