1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

slimline 3 lnb/hr22 installation?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Buco444, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Buco444

Buco444 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Hi everybody,
    friend of mine asked me to do sat install for him. He has old 18" dish and wants to go HD.
    He's got new plasma tv, slimline 3 lnb (with 4 out) dish and HR22-100 receiver. Only one coax from dish to the tv location and he is fine with not having dual tuner option but I'll try to run additional coax if it's not complicated.
    I'm an av installer and have done plenty of sat installs in the past with older style dishes but never a slimeline version.
    I was browsing various sites today trying to get familiar with process of installing and fine tuning.
    I would like to make sure that I'm not going to need any extra hardware besides dish and a receiver so:
    - I hear mention of a separate power inverter to power up the LNB, it looks like this would only apply to SWM line but not sure 100%
    - I'll still need Ka/Ku converter connected, right?
    - Install is in Galena, IL and I found El-Az-Tilt to be 40-196-79 respectively (numbers are rounded), would this be true for this type of dish?
    - I heard of a trick in this educational video that tells you to force the receiver into software update mode by punching in 0 2 4 6 8 from a remote on a hello screen, is this helpful and necessary?
    Any other tips and heads up are welcome to make this a smooth upgrade since the house is in back of the woods and it's a hardware stores aren't around a corner.
    Thank you very much

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    1. Power inserter is only necessary for the SWM version of the LNB. Standard versions are powered by the receiver alone.

2. Non-SWM LNBs means that the BBC is still required, yes.

3. Not sure, but the receiver will tell you. Punch in the zip code during receiver setup and it will give you the Slimline settings for your area.

4. The receiver will automatically download the latest software within 10 minutes or so of being connected to a working sat feed, and then will update itself whenever new software is released. It is actually pretty rare to need to do a manual update. Do let the receiver update its software before calling to activate it, though, or it will likely start the update process while you're talking to the CSR, and you'll have to hang up and call back when its done.

3. Buco444

Buco444 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Wow, I was hoping this is active forum that was fast!
    Thank you!
    Hey I like my user#, cool.
    Oh something else thou, it's unclear to me if I'm safe with slimline 3 lnb vs 5.
    Some say you only need extra satellites for spanish stations but also for locals in certain areas?

4. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    You are safe w/ a Slimline3. Your local SD's come from 101. (and HD's from 103)

5. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Would the slimeline 3 have the same range as the 5LNB? I mean can it be off by a little and still get the channels from the 103 or does it still have to be pointing to the specific AZ and Tilt? o and EL

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The SL3 and SL5 are identical in their need to be pointed with great precision and accuracy. The only difference is the presence or absense of the 110 and 119 LNBs, which are Ku-band. 99 and 103 are Ka-band, and have much smaller wavelengths.

7. Buco444

Buco444 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Awesome,
    thank you!