DBSTalk Forum banner

Slimline 5LNB, H20Directv receiver; cannot get 103 satellite for HD

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  peds48 
#1 ·
I got this dish from Oasis on Amazon as well as the receiver to take along with my RV. Got 90+ on 101, 110 and 119. Mid 50's on 99s but nada on 103. Get "771" code when selecting HD channels. I've "dithered" and tweeked till the cows came home. Looking at the diag channels (99xx) and 119 odd or even report "multiswitch problem". Oasis tells me it is still an aiming problem. Any way to verify the LNB is bad?

#2 ·
Do you have a broad band converter ( bbc ) in the coax run ? It is required.

#5 ·
Yes, got B Band. It is multiswitch, not SWM. I picked the weakest transponder (both even and odd) on each of the satellites and worked to peak those signals. As I said, most are mid to upper 90's, and even some 100's. Any particular one more sensitive to work with?

#7 ·
phildclark said:
Yes, got B Band. It is multiswitch, not SWM. I picked the weakest transponder (both even and odd) on each of the satellites and worked to peak those signals. As I said, most are mid to upper 90's, and even some 100's. Any particular one more sensitive to work with?
Usually the Ka-hi transponders on 103(ca) due to their higher frequencies (1650-2150 MHz) on the coax plant in legacy installs are the most sensitive due to increased signal loss throughout an installation.

For a convenient technical primer on frequencies for both legacy and SWiM ...

NOTE: A SWiM actually is a "mulitswitch" as well, thus the "M" in SWiM, but of the single wire type as opposed the the multi-line voltage/voltage+tone legacy type you have.

But we all know what you mean of course ... :)

#9 ·
phildclark said:
Oh yes, how critical is the tilt? 67 deg is the setting, but doesn't seem to have much effect adjusting it +- 20 deg.....
The proper tilt setting is mainly for correct 110 (not used in U.S.) and 119 alignment.

99 and 103 are so close to 101 that tilt does not effect them very much once 101 alignment is achieved.

#10 ·
The proper tilt setting is mainly for correct 110 (not used in U.S.) and 119 alignment.

99 and 103 are so close to 101 that tilt does not effect them very much once 101 alignment is achieved.

Tilt matters on my setup for all sats.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#11 ·
OK;

I find that a bit interesting though,

For azimuth and elevation settings, yes the Ka band is most sensitive. Thus historically the need for vernier adjustment controls for the Ka/Ku ODUs.

But due to their closeness to 101 the tilt has always been most forgiving in comparison and no fine adjustment control was ever included or needed for it.

In fact for the SL-3, the proper tilt setting for a location is more a formality than anything else I understand.

#12 ·
Mid 50's on 99 means an alignment problem...you should be getting at least low 70's. If you can get 99 in that range, you'll likely start to get some 103 signal. Peak on the 99 signal.. if you get 99 & 103, 101 will just fall in.

#13 ·
Diana C said:
if you get 99 & 103, 101 will just fall in.
Hmmm, I do it the other way around. I get the 101, dither on it and the rest fall in to place

#14 ·
When I did mine last year, I found that once I got the 101 sat that the 99 and 103 sats were close but not optimal.
I then dithered, checking between the 99 and 103 reading on my TV screen.
There was a very small adjustment in the azimuth and the elevation to peak the 99 and 103 and those last 2 adjustments did not make a visible difference on the 101.

All of my readings are 89 or above on 99c and 103ca and cb and 100 or close to it on the 101.

If you have done this and still do not get a signal you probably have a problem with the LNB.

#16 ·
or perhaps a bad, (bent) reflector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.