1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline Back Assembly types

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by drill, Aug 31, 2012.

1. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    How many back assembly types are there for the slimline dishes? I got a dish off the web and the back assembly is different than the 2 listed in all the literature I have seen. I think it works similar to the type 2, but I wanted to make sure before I break it :) (picture attached)

I think it has 1 azimuth lockdown bolt on the top/front. I believe I only have to loosen that bolt to adjust the azimuth.

the elevation has 2 lock down bolts, 1 on each side, and the nut holding the fine adjustment. to dither elevation, I only need to loosen the 2 lock down bolts.

does that sound right?

Attached Files:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not know how many types there are but that one is different from the one I have.

I would test what to loosen before assembling the dish, post , etc.

If the fine adjustment nuts / screws do not move with a nut driver ( looks like a screw driver except with a socket on the end ) easily it is not yet loose. Don't use a ratchet or similar since they have leverage.

3. nike5580

nike5580 AllStar

Jun 29, 2010
    Pittsfield,...
    That is the new reduced sized back unit assembly. What you have said does sound right from the tech tip I read a few months ago. One other thing the tech tip states is that, "The elevation lockdown nut attached to the elevation fine tune assembly located on the inside of the BAU should be tightened at the beginning fine tune peaking."

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You're correct. Be careful when locking down the elevation bolts. Some of the first round shipments had some that were slightly brittle.

5. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    thanks for the responses. i installed the dish over the weekend with no problems.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Excellent.
    Thanks for the update.

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Can you say where you got the dish.
    I would like a reduced sized BAU.