1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slimline dish rain fade and bird issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mecca1o, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecca1o

mecca1o Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Hey
    I have 2 slimline 5lnb dishes mounted on the side of my house. They have been accumulating a lot of bird shi* on them. I installed one of those realistic looking owls to scare the birds away, it worked for a week and then they came back. Besides worrying about the obvious signal degradation, it looks terrible, and the birds are driving me nuts chirpin away in the early morning. I live in Queens NY by the way.
    Any Ideas?

Also I remember they use to make Satellite Dish covers or"Dish socks" that were suppose to improve the signal during heavy rain. Were they Effective? Do they make them for the Slimline 5lnb?

Thanks
    Tim

2. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    With all due respect, you live in NY City, and it's the noise of birds that gets to you ? :D

I'm not sure what would help you - if you put one of those socks on, it will simply be a larger carrier for bird turds, not to mention snow.... Have you tried stringing fine fishing lines across ways ?

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Where do the birds sit? You could try one of these.

4. mecca1o

mecca1o Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I live in quiet beach community on the rockaway pennisula . Except for plane noise, JFK's flightpath for all incoming planes is directly above me , planes constantly 700ft - above my roof. They changed the flighpaths after the flight 587 crash in the belle harbor rockaways and moved it west to the "The other end" where it is less populated. I bring this up because I saw on another thread about planes screwing with D* signal. Yes it happens to me occasionally.

That would be to large as the dishes our mounted on the side wall of my house.
    I was thinking of getting gorilla glue and ataching these spike strips to the top of the dish. Do you think i would lose signal if i attached 1 to the feedhorn arm also bird-x.com/products/spikes.html. I may try the fishing line as well.
    I mentioned the dish sock purely as to improve the signal during storms but also i could treat the material with chemical bird repellant as it would absorb it.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I had a bird poop issue as well... It turned to out to a hawk that was perching on the dish... and when he would take off.. and push off of the dish... it kept moving a little more out of alignment everytime... some silicon on top of the dish took care of the problem for me...

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I would think the spiky strips on the top edge of the dish and one on the end of the feedhorn would suffice, without affecting the signal, not a bad idea.

7. mchaney

mchaney Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Had a problem once with vultures and crows eating through my plastic trash can at the end of the driveway. I bought a can of dog and cat repellent and sprayed that all over the can and they wouldn't come near it! Might give it a try. Would work until the rain washed it off anyway. Seems the dog and cat repellent works on at least some birds as well. In fact, I don't think many animals like it as I've used it to repel raccoons too.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.