1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline is only a roof install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ruffneckc, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1 of 44
    ruffneckc

ruffneckc Cool Member

Aug 31, 2006
    The D* installation people came today and would not install the Slimline dish or give me the HR21's because they can only install the dish to the roof. Now I live in an apartment complex and the landlord has made it clear that he wants no dishes on the roof.

We already have a 3-LNB installed on the side of the building and I was thinking since the Slimline was lighter than the Sidecar, it would install to the same place with little trouble. The installation guy would not go ahead with it. He said the Slimline can only be installed on the roof. We contacted D* and they said the same thing. The installation guy even went as far to say it was the law. ?? Can this be correct?

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am that after 2 weeks of trying to upgrade to the new HiDef and it's still a no go. Last week they accidentally canceled my installation and now this!

Is there nothing that can be done, save for getting FIOS? Does DISH Network have HiDef dishes that can be mounted anywhere? I would consider switching if they did.

Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. The installation guy mentioned the D* would be coming out with a smaller profile dish with 5-LNB that would not need to mounted on the roof. Any word on that?

2. Dec 6, 2007 #2 of 44
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Nope,

we install yhem on the wall all the time. One of my fellow subcontractors developed and manufactures an adapter to use the old pole. He sells them on eBay for a very reasonable price;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150191362370&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

Just be sure that the monopole braces are used.

Our customers really like it, when we can use the old pole, without having to install a new one and leaving the ugly old mount.

I've bee a long term reader and poster on this forum. Mos RSP's perfer to mount on walls and poles. Many refuse roof installs.

No, the slimline is the standard 5 lnb dish and will be for a few years to come.

3. Dec 6, 2007 #3 of 44
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your installer is incorrect. The slimline can be mounted to a roof, wall, pole, tripod, non-pen roof mount or a chimney (although not done by many HSPs). More than likely, they've had problems with apartments with the slimeline and/or he just didn't want to do the install.

It's not the law, that line was %100 BS.

As for a smaller dish, I guess anything is possible, but I don't think its very likely. From my understanding, it's about as small as its going to get due to 1)Needing to hit 5 oribital slots & 2) To collect enough of the Ka band signal to work.

You could also give an independant installer a shot. It will cost you, but you may be able to get some credits to offset some or all of the cost.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #4 of 44
    techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    There must have been some kind of misunderstanding with DirecTV as I can't believe that they would tell you that the dish can only go on the roof.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #5 of 44
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Try finding a local dealer. They are much easier to work with, if you need something different.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #6 of 44
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It sounds as though you encountered an installer who didn't want to have to do the work. Wall mounts are very strong if done properly but more difficult because of working on a ladder vs sitting up on a roof. They get paid the same no matter how hard they have to work. It is unfortunate that you had this installer as so many I have met are more than eager to to a good job.

7. Dec 6, 2007 #7 of 44
    ruffneckc

ruffneckc Cool Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Thank you so much for the responses. I really had a feeling I was just being duped. Can you give me anymore information, going forward, as to how I could get another installer etc.

The name of the installation company here in Bronx, NY is Hallstead and I was wondering if D* HAS to select the installer for me or if I could choose another based on your recommendations and they would go along with that?

I have a feeling if I try to setup another installation appointment I may get the same company and same problem. Also, if I call Hallstead and explain what you have explained to me here, they may just brush me off, saying that they only do roof installs.

Either way, any other info. you get give me in terms of locating other installation companies would be most helpful.

Mike500, are the monopoles the two stands that help to sustain the dish or are they that adapter for the old pole you mentioned?

Thanks again for the quick responses. Very much appreciated.

8. Dec 6, 2007 #8 of 44
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002

Yes, they are the two stabilizing braces. When used in a wall install, thet take almost all the weight of the dish, instead of the joint between the pole and the base. My colleague and I were once engineering students together. Many of his customers buy the adapter and have it ready for the installer to use the existing pole. The installers almost always use it, since it makes his job a lot easier. He will supply amd install the monopoles.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 44
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Maybe one of the techs can respond but the DirecTV installer who came to my house was prepared only for a roof install. He clearly, and we discussed this at length, indicated that was their preferred install method and he was not trained or prepared for any other type of install. At the time his only alternative, which he was not volunteering to do by the way, was a pole install. Of course, no LOS for a pole and I live on almost solid limestone (8" of bought topsoil) so that wasn't happening. As it turned out he wouldn't/couldn't install the Slimline because of the height and pitch of my roof. I had a private installer mount it to the fascia/rake board 3 weeks later. Two weeks after that DirecTV came back with my new HD DVR. Different installer and he looked at the dish on the way into my house. His comment "Hey, we did a nice job on that!" Needless to say I corrected him but he offered he'd had done it exactly the same way and couldn't understand why the first installer had bailed on me. I said I stood there with the first guy while he explained the situation to the supervisor over the phone and the supervisor approved him not doing the install. Second guy said "I never would have asked, I'd just have done it." Oh well....

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I do know that there can be a problem attaching the larger dish to fascia boards depending on the size of the board used and its age and condition. That's why I opted for a roof install.

11. mpaquette

mpaquette AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Personally I would not allow a slimline to be installed on any part of my house, including the roof. I'm in the Southeast and I'm pretty certain the next time we get clipped by a hurricane, there will lots of slimline dishes laying in peoples yards.

12. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Stuart - Understand but not all roof types lend themselves to installing a dish. Down my way tile and standing seam metal roofs are really common. Sure not going to bolt through a tile roof and the metal ones could be, I'd think, equally challenging. In my case I started with a very substantial 2"x8" facsia/rake board and beefed that up by sistering a 2"x10" over that. I'd much rather do that than drill holes in my roof.

13. ruffneckc

ruffneckc Cool Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Thanks for that Randy. Any chance of getting a picture to see what this type of install actually looks like?

14. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
  15. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Any time some one says - It's the law, or legally I can't do this or do that it's usually bullsh*t time, tell them it's time to leave.

I thought I read that the sidecar and the slimline are pretty much the same weight, not different enough in weight to even bother saying one is any lighter than the other one.

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Fascia is usually 1 x 6 soft wood like pine. IF you can find a truss (look for nails) you can lag bolt into a truss end. Then use two monopoles, one on each side of the mast into the fascia.

This is NOT a first choice location. After you deal with the cable (as many as four) you could have a long afternoon on your hands or a real mess.

Joe

17. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    I would have to agree. Ideally, the install needs two monopoles with the mounting of the end around the pole as close to the dish mounting ferule as possible and with the ends mounted as close to forming a wide base near equallatteral triangular tripod base as possible.

If mounting on a facia board. the monopoles would be best anchored om the roof deck, itself. If this is not possible, the pole should be mounted on the end of the rafter tail or on the rake board on top of the side of the rafter tail. That way one monopole could be anchored on the ajacent rafter tail and the other on the side of the rafter further up. This would form a strong right angle corner structure.

I have included photos of a hack job side of rafter mounting method, and special rake board and facia mountings that we have been using for the last five years or more in our installs. They are made basically of cut down standard pole mounts. They fit within the 5-1/2 inch space of facia and end rafter rake boards.

Attached Files:

18. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Mike - I'm sure that install works just fine but got to tell you I'm liking my mount a whole lot more after seeing that. :) Sure I run the risk of a windstorm ripping my Slimline, and probably a good chunk of my fascia, off the house but no more so than my neighbors with their dishes bolted to their roofs. After I put mine up my neighbor was poking around in his attic and noticed that the DirecTV installer "bolted" his dish only to the decking. Rather than move it I helped him rig up a backing board using some of the extra board from my install. He already could see water staining so we sealed that too. I'll stick with my style of install until it fails me or something better comes along. When I look around the neighborhood and see the variety of locations and mounting technics I've got to say it's surprising more dishes don't come down but, at least around here with our frequent high winds and thunder storms, it doesn't happen often.

19. crankin

crankin Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    I have been struggling to get the new 5-LNB dish for months now. Right now I have a 3-LNB dish that is mounted to the side of my house. DirecTV installers have been out three times now and they tell me there is no way they can place the 5-LNB dish where my current 3-LNB dish is. Every time they ask, "How about a roof mount?" And each time I reply with a simple, "No." At this point I am contemplating a pole because then I would not have to worry about anything mounted to the house. In fact, an installer is scheduled to come sometime in the next few hours and I am going to discuss that with him. But I doubt he'll be very keen on that seeing as he would have to bring out all the necessary cabling (and with snow on the ground... I don't see this happening).

Any suggestions? Here is a picture of my current setup:

[​IMG]

20. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Yeah,

If we were doing the install, we could do it using the adapter my fellow subscontractor engineered and is selling on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150191362370&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

It appears that there is enough room above the current pole to accomodate the larger AU9 slimline, and plenty of room on each side.

It is probably that the new mount for the slimline has a larger hole pattern that they cannot just take off the old one and put on the new one.

With the adapter noted above, all we'd do is to remove the old Phase III dish from the pole, and install the adapter. Two monopoles would clamp to the lower 1 inch or so of the adapter and extend horizontally to the two adjacent studs in the wall. When tightened and plumbed, the mount would be rock solid.

After having done the above, the rest of the install is standard, and the cables are already there.

We just wonder why DirecTV has not thought of our adapter before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.