1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline VS AT9

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mridan, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Does the new slimline dish get any better signal strength than the older AT9 dish?

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    In a word, no. If your dish is aligned and peaked well, it won't matter which of the two you use. I have an AT-9 and I get mid- to upper 90's (and quite a few 100's) for almost all the transponders aimed in my direction, from all the sats I receive. I'm guessing I'll do as well for 103 once D10 goes active (right now I don't receive any signals from there for my location - just some 30's and 40's from spotbeams aimed at other locations).

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    No difference in signal quality, just the slimline is easier to assemble and some folks find it more attractive, if that makes a difference to you.

4. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    C'mon fellas, accrding to the "Are you ready for High Definition" video running on Channel 77, our AT9 is the "Sidecar" dish...lol

5. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    It is a fitting name.

6. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Just had a 3lnb replaced with the slimline and it was nice that the they could use the same holes instead of making more holes in the side of my house.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    My AT9 gets very good signals as well. I get several transponders at 100 and all that are aimed in my direction are no lower than 96 :D

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    They couldn't...

The larger size, and weight... required an increased footprint.

They should be able to reuse two...
    And before mounting, they should fill in the original two that are not used.

9. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Earl, I REALLY don't want to disagree with you because it's obvious by your posts on this forum that you know WAY more about this stuff than most people (especially me), but I find that I must. I saw the installer take down the old mount and I know for sure that I saw him put in two screws (Fairly certain they were diagonal from each other too). However i did walk away at this point and didn't see the rest.

Upon getting home tonight I got out my old 3lnb mount and checked the hole placement vs the 5lnb mount currently on the house. I laid the old one over the new one as best as possible and looked at the center of the screws on the new one through the holes on the old one. I checked the bottom two holes and the two on the left. While this was not done with any kind of great precision measuring I'm convinced that the holes are in the same positions.

Now on the 5lnb they not only used screws in the four corners (which is all that the 3lnb was attached with), but they also added two more screws down the center of the mount. They also used one "arm" as well.

We may be talking about different things here but I'm convinced that the four holes left by my 3lnb mount were used for the 5lnb mount.

The new mount also looks essentially the same but appears to be thicker metal and adjusted to hold the larger diameter rod.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sorry, but the AT9/AU9 mount is larger. In all the installations I've done, if I reuse one of the four corners, then that is only existing hole that gets reused. The other three corners are new holes.

Take your tape measure and measure between the bottom bolts on both and either the left or the right. You'll see that there is a considerable difference.

Now, if the installer was a real above & beyond guy, he may have drilled new holes in the foot to match the exiting bolt patern. Not very likely though.

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    If there is difference, which I will not dispute due to my inprecise comparisons, it's DEFINTELY not considerable. Apparently my mileage does vary.

12. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Allright, got out the tape measure and ladder (again)

The holes in the four corrers have the same spacing. Perhaps I had a funky 3lnb mount or perhaps I have a funky 5lnb mount - but they have the same hole spacing.

Top/bottom - 3.75"
    Sides - 6"

13. oudabashian

oudabashian AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I just replaced my 3 LNB dish with the Slimline. I did not have to drill any new holes to mount the dish. It was the same size. Maybe there is more then one version...

14. MrHorspwer

MrHorspwer New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    During my recent dish installation debacle (in which a a poorly installed AT9 fell off my roof), I compared the mount from my original 1 LNB, the AT9, and the Slimline that eventually replaced them.

They all had the same mounting footpring and the holes were in the same location.

15. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Ha ha, yeah i noticed that last night.

16. pierce3381

pierce3381 AllStar

Jun 26, 2007

17. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    My 5lnb is Cal-Amp (I still have the box). Couldn't begin to guess about the old 3lnb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.