1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sling 922 DVD shutting itself off & fan running full speed? ...

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by speedmaster, Apr 9, 2013.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    We're on our second 922 DVR in about 18 months (first one just died, hard disk I think) and generally love it. But over the last week it's been acting odd.

Several times I've come into the room to see the DVR apaprently off, no lights whatsoever on the front panel lit up, and a _very_ loud whirring noise. It sounds like the fan is cranked-up all the way. No pressing of buttons on the DVR itself or the remote changes this. The only thing I can do is unplug it for a minute or two.

After that it's usually good for maybe 1/2 a day. Then it happens again. I wouldn't think it's overheating, there's plenty of airflow space around it on all sides, and it's in a very roomy cabinet off the floor with no doors.

Any ideas? My guess is it's toast? If it is dead, any chance Dish might upgrade me to a Hopper? We've been customers for about 15 years.

Thanks very much in advance,
    Chris

2. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    It is either overheating or the temperature sensor thinks it is overheating. Does any part of it feel hot when this occurs?

It could be overheating due to internal problems if the ventilation is good. Either way, I would either see if a DiRT member will respond or call and ask for a new receiver (and why not ask about the Hopper?).

3. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    You are lucky, I am on my 4th one in two months and just today it is beginning to act up. My second one was doing what you describe your's as doing. I am sure they will upgrade you for a price and a 2-year commitment.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Unfamiliar with specifics on 922s, but could hard drive make a sound like the fan ??

5. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi Chris, with the sound you’re hearing it could be overheating. Is the DVR getting direct sunlight? Are there a lot of devices like a computer tower next to the 922?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps you are using computers (desktops) while typing posts here ;)
    HDDs using in DVR are the same as in desktops - listen to them ...

7. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Did you receive any information about upgrading to the Hopper? If not, please PM me your account number and I can provide you information about an upgrade. Please let me know. Thanks.