1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sling Adapter doesnt work with WD Live Sling Player

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by BillM, Jul 26, 2012.

1. BillM

BillM Mentor

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm very happy with my 722K+Sling adapter; it works fine from my PC, Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I Have had much less luck making it work with an old Slingcatcher; usually it crashes the Slingcatcher. I heard recently that Sling was offering Slingplayer software for network connected devices, so I went an ordered a WD Live box hoping to use it as a replacement for the Slingcatcher. The WD box runs Slingplayer just fine, but the Sling adapter shows up in the directory as a "remote, incompatible firmware" entry in the directory, and of course there is no way to upgrade the firmware.

As with other Sling product issues, the Sling support folks point you at Dish Network, and Dish Network points you back at Sling. Hard to believe they are both part of the same company.

In any case, don't make my mistake any buy a Sling device if you want to talk to the Dish Sling adapter...

:-(

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Sling adapter only "works" by connecting via a mobile app OR going through the Dish Web page. Traditional Slingplayer software does not work with a sling adapter like it does with a slingbox.

So, I don't see how the WD drive could work either... same problem, it is looking for a slingbox and you don't have a slingbox.

It is an intentional limitation by Dish to not allow the other methods.