1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sling Adapter for LAN Streaming

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by BetterOff, Aug 31, 2012.

1. BetterOff

BetterOff New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I wanted to see if someone could clear this up for me. I have a pair of 722k receivers at home. I recently moved the TV that was connected to TV2 of Receiver2 over to TV2 of Receiver1 for my son to watch shows in his room.

I have a PC in the room where the old TV was located with an extra monitor that would be great for viewing TV. I was originally planning to buy a PCI-E tuner card and just run the coax to my PC for SD viewing. After looking up some info on the Sling Adapter I thought that it might work for my purpose and maybe have better quality. However, my issue is that I'm confused over about whether I can stream locally or not with the Sling Adapter. I really don't intend to stream outside of my home or at least expect it to work well. I live in a rural area and the best internet connection I can receive is a max of 1Mbps and usually less than 512Kbps up and down on a normal day.

Would I still be able to stream my Dish to my TV with my connection limitations or would I be better off buying a tuner card?

2. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    With the Sling Adapter and broadband or DSL connected to your receiver, you can stream to your local network.

You use your online login to connect to our servers for authentication but the system is intelligent enough to determine when you are streaming locally or over the Internet.

To answer your question, yes, you can stream on your home network with the Sling Adapter. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

3. BetterOff

BetterOff New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Excellent! Sounds like a Sling adapter order is in my future. Thanks for the quick response! :)

4. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I like them well enough that I have BOTH a Sling Adapter (for TV 2) and a Slingbox Pro-HD (for TV 1) connected to my 722k!

5. global_nomad

global_nomad New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    It worked great for me in the Middle East. It was very trippy to see California commercials in the middle of the dessert, but all of a sudden it has switched off. Its hard to troubleshoot from 8000 miles away!