1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling Adapter Question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by clone1008, Apr 13, 2011.

1. clone1008

clone1008 New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I have the ViP 722 and just received the Sling Adapter everything hooked up fine and working. I do seem to be experiencing quite a bit of lag when watching on my EVO. My question is...I have both the USB adapter and a Linksys Game Adapter. I have gotten both to work, but which would be the preferred one to use. I travel a lot and want to get this running at it's best setup before I leave town again.

2. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    What is your upload speed on your home connection? And for the EVO to have smooth video it must be on WiFi or 4G, 3G is just too slow....

3. clone1008

clone1008 New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I just did a speedtest and my results are showing:

Download: 3.52 Mbps
    Upload: 0.76 Mbps

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Assuming that nobody uses your Internet connection for anything else, 760K should be enough for a wireless phone session.

Lag is something that usually happens while the client is buffering and it eventually catches up (more or less). Don't expect it to ever be real time.

Sling's guidelines are:

HD 3Mbps or better
    SD 600Kbps or better
    phone 150Kbps or better

Obviously, these are sustained speeds, not peak speeds.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I essentially could not get HD from my Slingbox PRO-HD when away from home until recently partly because my upload speed was consistently around 0.76 Mbps and partly because at most hotels the shared network seems to throttle down download speeds.

Now, much to my surprise, my upload speed has been increased by Comcast to 2.66 Mbps. I haven't been away from home to see what impact this has had on Sling picture quality, but I assume it will improve. I'll be testing it while visiting one of the "kids" (they're 50ish) as they have Comcast ISP with wireless.

My Verizon MiFi device when in a 3G service area gives me just enough speed to get acceptable SD.

6. clone1008

clone1008 New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    So my real question is....is it better to use my linksys game adapter or the neatgear wireless-n usb adapter or does it even matter?

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    The adapter isn't the bottleneck, your internet is, so it doesn't matter.