1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sling question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fudpucker, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I'm visiting some family and I can't access my Sling (on a 722) from here. No problem on dishonline seeing what's on my DVR, etc. but when I try to watch something from the schedule (live TV,) I get the screen as if it is downloading the video and then an error message. This is happening on both my notebook computer and my iPad.

Checked the router, everything looks fine, tried uPnP on and off, no effect, no firewall or proxies. No problem accessing anything else (Netflix, etc.)

Any ideas of what else to check?

Thanks

2. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK just had my wife at home check and no red light on the Sling. She unplugged it from the receiver USB and plugged it back in, still no message and no red light. So for some reason it seems to not be working. It was working a week ago. Hmmmmmmm

3. Oct 3, 2012 #3 of 16
    ksdishrsptech

ksdishrsptech New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    What type of receiver do you have???

4. Oct 4, 2012 #4 of 16
    DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Do you have multiple receivers and if so, are you accessing the one with the sling from your iPad menu? If you are on the wrong receiver you will get nothing.

5. Oct 6, 2012 #5 of 16
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Fixed. Sling just stopped working. A DIRT rep quickly helped me out, cost me about $50 but they replaced it very quickly (apparently the Sling is not covered in the extra coverage plan.) New one plugged in and worked.

6. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The sling adapter is covered in the $6 Protection Plan.

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Seems it wasn't - they charged me $49 and I had the protection plan active.

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You should note: The protection plan was raised to $7 per month a while ago.

9. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Is there a definitive answer on whether the Sling should be covered by the protection plan? If it is, then I probably shouldn't have had to pay the $50 replacement fee.

10. uawildcat7

uawildcat7 New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I had a slingbox solo that seems to have quit working----would it be better to get the dish sling adapter or a new solo? Also if i got the dish sling adapter could i use it with sling box app or just with the dish app? Thanks

11. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The Sling Adapter is not compatible with the sling app. That being said, I sometimes use my sling adapter with the sling app but the dish remote access app is fully functional and easier to use with the sling adapter than the sling app.

12. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I don't know anything about anything but the Sling that Dish sent me and Dish Remote access, but the Dish setup works extremely well. I am in Germany right now and able to easily watch anything live on my Dish IRD at home in the U.S., watch anything on my DVR there, set up and modify recording schedules, etc.

13. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    FWIW, I chatted with Dish customer service today, and they told me that, since I had the protection plan when my Sling died, they were refunding the $49.99 charge they gave me when they replaced it. Very cool.

14. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The Sling Adapter comes with a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. Thanks.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The long-term consensus on this is that it is NOT covered.

The fact that they stood up for fudpucker seems in decided conflict with what Ray offered.

16. pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    Same thing happened to me about a month ago on the 722. Sling just died. They replaced my sling then finally upgraded me (at no charge) to a 922. Something happened, but nobody could (or would) tell me what that was . . . .