1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Slingbox & HR23

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Swagger, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Swagger

Swagger Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Is it OK to leave my HR23 that is connected to my Slingbox on all the time? I watch mostly from my phone and it's a little bit of a pain to turn the receiver on and off everytime I log in.

On my older Tivo DVR, it was possible to set it for "always on." Does the HR23 have this feature? I couldn't find it in the menu.

Thanks!

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Yes, the HR2x is always on... no way to turn it off. When you put it in standby it doesn't actually turn off.

3. Swagger

Swagger Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    When the HR23 is not on (Blue light off) I get 'weak or no signal' when viewing from my slingbox. Once I hit the power button (Blue light on), I get a picture. I realize that the receiver in alway on to record even when the power is off, I just need to know if there's an issue with leaving it "on" all the time and if there is a setting to keep it "on" even when I hit power (on remote) to turn of the TV. Thanks.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    When you use the power button to turn it off, it just goes to standby, but it does turn off the video & audio outputs, I believe the video and audio outputs need to be active for your slingbox to operate, so in your case you probably need to leave it on.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    And to answer your specific question, it will do no harm at all to leave it on all the time.

6. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    The way your turn the TV off without putting the HR23 into standby is to change the switch on the remote to TV, then hit PWR... put it back to DirecTV and when you want to watch TV again, just hit the "ON" button... works fine...

7. Swagger

Swagger Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it!

8. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    what sling box will work with the hr 23

9. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    Any of them. They all have video input jacks. You may have to use SD instead of HD, but it still "works".