1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox iPhone and iPad apps upgraded

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by MartyS, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Great news for folks who use the slingbox app on their iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad... you can now stream from the device to a TV...

http://www.macworld.com/article/158115/2011/02/slingplayer.html#lsrc.rss_main

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Have you tried it yet? I haven't had the chance. I would guess it probably works well.

3. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Actually, we're going to visit my kids and grandkids in Louisville for a few weeks, so I went to the Apple store today and bought the composite cables to connect either the iPad or the iPhone to the TV. Gonna give it a try as soon as I find a TV I can reach the R/W/Y RCA jacks on and give it a shot to see how it works.

I'll report here.

4. inkahauts1367066121

inkahauts1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I am looking forward to seeing how well this works for you... Will you do it via wifi at their house, or 3g? Could you test both ways?

5. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Haven't had a chance to try it yet, since I can't get the iPad out of my wife's Hands (damn Angry Birds :))!

WIll most likely try later today. I'll let you know what happens. And it will be over WiFi

6. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Okay, so I connected the iPad to the TV using the cable that I bought (it's connected to an SD TV using the Red/White/Yellow RCA plugs.

iTunes works perfectly. Netflix works like a wonder. The Sling App, however, (both the iPad and iPhone version) will not transfer the video. I get the audio, but no video.

Interesting thing with iTunes and Netflix. I don't get video on the TV until the actual programming starts. If I'm selecting a netflix movie, I get the Netflix logo on the screen until the video starts. With iTunes, I get a black screen until the video starts to play.

So there's the update.

7. inkahauts1367066121

inkahauts1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Well thats good to know. I figure I would want to be able to do this when traveling as well...

Sad about the sling though.. I'll bet its not a bug too...

8. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I don't know... it might be a bug since I use the slingbox player on my Mac Mini that's connected to the Panny 56" set in the family room and it works like a charm. Video out plays perfectly from my computer and my laptop using sling player.

I have a feeling that there will be an update to the Slingbox App in the near future that makes it play nice with iOS 4.3. In fact, going to go to the App Store and post a review saying that it doesn't work with video out on iOS 4.3.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Can't wait to try this... I have the connector on order :)

10. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Someone told me that if I deleted the original app from the iPad and reinstalled it, it should work. I did that, but I haven't had a chance to try it on the TV yet.

I'll let everyone know.