1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox-> laptop ->Tv = MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rorkin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. rorkin

rorkin AllStar

Dec 9, 2006
    Set up with bluetooth mouse seems to work fine for quick and dirty MRV .
    Have a N router and the picture is quite good

Of course you have to have the mentioned hardware :)

THis works for us as We have one recorder and the other boxes are H20 with no active ethernet port .

2. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Of course if they could ever get Directv2PC to work smoothly you could eliminate the slingbox

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually, many folks have almost no problems with DIRECTV2PC and the picture quality is better. Rorkin, have you tried DIRECTV2PC?

4. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    I use DIRECTV2PC all the time, works great for me too and it's HD.

5. rorkin

rorkin AllStar

Dec 9, 2006
    Have not tried directv2pc in a long while .. Will give it a shot..

6. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    They need to get Directv2PC to work with Celeron CPUs if possible.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure which one you're asking about [there are so many], but you can get [or I have] DirecTV2PC to work on some fairly weak processors, when you have a good video chip to handle the MPEG-4 decoding.
    I was using/testing a P4 underclocked down to 1.7 GHz, without any problems and it may have worked even lower.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    They need to come out with DirecTV2Mac . . . :nono:

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Many people have. (including myself) But it is not very laptop friendly (HDCP Audio issues) and some audio makers dont have supported drivers.

10. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    I have a Slingbox PRO HD that I use but I still plan on getting MRV for the other members of my household. Slingbox does not help them but I love mine.

DirectPC never did allow me to authorize so I gave up on that POS. I know others got it work but I am not spending one more second on it.

Bring on MRV!!!

11. rorkin

rorkin AllStar

Dec 9, 2006
    Laptop does not seem to have the horsepower and I cant get it to run on my desktop so slingbox it remains

12. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Whats the real system reqs for DirecTV2PC?

13. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DIRECTV2PC only available on your home network? I use Slingbox at work and on the road. I also use it at home for a second TV and the picture quality is fine for what I need.

14. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007

Yeah it is just home network

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The other advantage of a Slingbox is that with DIRECTV@PC you sometimes have to turn on your TV that's connected to the DVR by HDMI, to get it to work. You don't have to worry about that with a Slingbox.

And in addition to using it for MVR, you can channel surf and watch live programming. DIRECTV2PC only lets you view recordings. So if you want to watch a live program using DIRECTV2PC, you have to record it. And if your remote is IR and the DVR is in another room, you have to go in the other room and start the recording.

Actually, just tried DIRECTV2PC for the first time in months and I can't get it play.

16. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I love my slingbox but I use it for remote viewing only. When I'm home I'll use DIRECTV2PC because the picture is fantastic. It is true you need a fully HDCP compliant system, but it works great on my Dell Latitude E6400 both in and out of the dock (external HDCP-compliant DVI monitor) so I guess I'm lucky. I'm also an IT professional so I always make sure to have the latest drivers ;)

As for audio issues, disabling digital audio output in the control panel usually solves any audio-related HDCP issues.

17. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I mainly use my Slingbox in the "Slingbar Right" mode on my home PC, so an HD picture doesn't really matter. That way I can do other things like read DBSTalk while watching and listening to the TV. And the picture quality over the LAN is actually quite good. If I want to watch HD, I do that on one of my flat screen TV's and use my laptop to browse.