1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Slingbox with THR22?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by bldxyz, May 19, 2014.

1. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    A Slingbox 500 has come into my hands. I'm wondering if anyone else with a THR22 has it, and I'm curious about HDMI splitting instead of passthrough.

Slingbox has a knowledgebase article and video about HDMI, HDCP and SOC. They recommend putting the Slingbox between the set top box (THR22) and your TV (or AV Receiver), but also putting Component between the set top box and Slingbox, so that programs that require DHCP can have a route through.

I'm thinking that I'd rather not give up the HDMI connection between my THR22 and my TV for premium content, losing (or having to bypass with Optical Audio) the digital audio in the process. Instead, I am thinking about:
    1. using an HDMI splitter on the way out of the THR22, sending one directly to my AV Receiver, and sending the other to Slingbox, or
    2. Only sending Component to the Slingbox, and sending HDMI directly to the AV Receiver (sans splitter)
    Thoughts?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Splitters can bring significant complication; especially if the TV doesn't respond to HDMI/HDCP queries when it is in standby. Instead of getting an image, you may get an error screen.

DIRECTV's method of handling component output on flagged content may also present some obstacles to going that route (again, depending on DIRECTV's future handling of DRM). That said, it is probably the route to go until DRM becomes a more serious problem.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am afraid that DirecTV uses SOC as well as DHCP. So if the TV is OFF, you will get no picture at all on your Sling Player. Your best bet is to use a DirecTV solely for the Slingbox, or try using a powered HDMI splitter that keep the HDMI handshake "alive" even when the TV is OFF

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I have a Hauppauge HDDVR with HDMI passthrough and I can confirm that if the TV is off, the HDDVR sees no signal. That, combined with SOC, means that I had to switch to component input to get my recordings (which worked and it looked ok.)