1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow motion - how to?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Does the HR20 have a slow motion feature like the TIVO units? I know I can stop the action and advance or rewind frame by frame, but is there a slow play mode? I have not figured out to do it if there is one. Thanks.

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    hold the play button down for 5 sec

3. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Thanks - I will try that.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have a 3rd-party remote, press for three seconds, then let go and press again quickly.

5. Vor

Vor Mentor

Jul 5, 2007
    So you actually have to rewind to about 6 seconds before you reach the part that you want to watch in slow motion? That's a fairly useless feature...

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    yes. Unfortunately, this remote doesn't have a Slow Motion button.

Check out the HR20 Wish List. There are several options in the Cruise Control section about how we would like to have Slow Motion improved.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Pushing replay 1-2x will get you where you want to be.

8. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wonder if there is a way to snag that second key press's code, via learning that last keypress and have that as an independent key. My guess is no, but it is strange that with the original codes form the RC34/64 remotes, on a 3rd party remote like Harmony, require the release and repress for it to function(ther is a 2nd set of codes that works liek the original RC34/64 remotes, with the Harmony tho).

9. Fore

Fore Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Yeah, I miss the slow mo too. I played around with the above suggestions and found that holding down play 3 secs, then hit it once more...puts it in slow mo.
    good luck

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, usually when I want to watch something in slow motion I have already backed up to see it again anyway.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    You can search back a ways to verify, but with all the 3rd party remotes out there, I think trying to capture the code has been tried to death. I believe it has to do with a multi-code the HR20 needs to receive.

12. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    Doug - Maybe we should revisit this on the wishlist. I believe you, me, and Craig debated on how this should be worded on the wishlist. I voted for a toggle. Craig and others voted for a shorter press and hold time. Shorter press & hold won.

I still think a toggle of the Play button vs a press and hold is the most eloquent solution here. Press Play once and it goes to slo-mo. Press Play again and goes back to play again. I have seen this on an Adelphia DVR and some other consumer electronics like VCR's (not sure if I have seen on any DVD players yet). Works very nice.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I hate the play for play then play for slo-mo on my cable DVR. Play a second time should clear the play bar.

I would prefer if you hit FF while in pause (like my DVD players and at least one VCR I had) or pause once pauses, second time is slowmo.

But if you do pause, then FF for slomo, you can do pause and REW for backward slomo! (If the box can even do that.)

14. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Mark,

I've stepped away from maintaining the Wish List. I'm still close by, though. Steve has graciously stepped in to keep thing going. Please check out the new Wish List thread at the following URL:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=93995

15. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    I would vote for any solution that doesn't make you press and hold a key. Like others have said once the slo-mo kicks in on the press and hold delay you are way past the point where you wanted the slo-mo to begin. And half the time the slo-mo doesn't even kick in. As for the paly for play toggle - I believe on the Adlephia DVR I saw the play for slo-mo did hide the time bar. This was at my dughter's, but now that comcast took over I think they might have swapped the cable box out. Not sure - will check with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.