1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow remote response is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mmmason23, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mmmason23

mmmason23 AllStar

Apr 26, 2010
    Are they ever going to fix this problem? I have a hr23 and it took me nearly ten minutes to change the channel this morning. I've done that remote code that helps a little bit for a couple of days but then it reverts back. This is easily the most annoying thing with directv

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Ten minutes? Was this on a sports channel?

3. mmmason23

mmmason23 AllStar

Apr 26, 2010
    Actually it has been 20 minutes now. When I turned it on it was on a local. I've been trying to turn it to Disney ever since. It will only take one number and then it tries to turn to 2 which we don't have, then it tries 9 which we don't have then finally 1 and it changes to the info channel, this happens at least once a week and it is sooooooo frustrating

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Whatever -with the stream that was found and fixed earlier is now back-You may try this- I press the guide (it takes just as long a wait) when it shows I then type the channel (it taes the same effort) but the screen doesn't blank out during the wait for the long slow response.

I'm still running the 07/07/ release and the slowness started for me last night.

Some one at D* has done a system restore to a earlier time before there data stream was fixed. :mad:

5. mmmason23

mmmason23 AllStar

Apr 26, 2010
    My software says 0x4a7, wed 7/6

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I'd never wait 20 minutes to change the channel. I know this can be frustrating but it's much easier to just pull up the guide and change the channel via that then to mess around for 20 minutes with the numbers on the remote.

With that said, I've found back to back red button resets can help with the problem you are having.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    mmmason23, do you have any kind of remote repeater on your system?

8. mmmason23

mmmason23 AllStar

Apr 26, 2010
    It just got caught in a loop and I couldn't get the guide up, I did a red button reboot to fix it. Still slow but useable now. But even then you have to wait ten minutes for it to reboot. You shouldn't have to do that so often

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    What about clearing RAM? If I recall, tune to channel 1. Once there, press the following in order as shown:

Red
    Red
    Green
    Green
    Blue
    Yellow

I think a message should pop on the screen stating RAM cleared (or something close to that). Not sure if that will help....

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    mmmason23, let me ask my question better. I want to see if you have any IR interference going on. It could cause your problem.

Have you tried switching your remote over to RF? If it works fine that way, you have an interference issue.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's red red blue blue yellow green.

12. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Within the last day or so, both my HR20 and my HR23 have gotten painfully slow. On my HR20 (happen to be watching it at the moment) I hit the guide button and waited......and waited......and waited......and waited. Once the guide finally came up I tried to advance 24 hours. Hit the green button.....and waited.....and waited......and waited. It finally advanced 12hrs and I hit it again.....and waited.....and waited.......and waited. Went to record the show I was looking for.....by now you get the idea.

My HR23 has always been painfully slow, but it has gotten just like the HR20 in the last couple of days.

My remotes are all IR.

It APPEARS that it is related to the guide somehow. Menus come up with no problem. Watching a recording and pause,FF,RW all work as they should.

13. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Dang it, I was close. :lol:

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Called in to D* and while waiting in Q recording says "We are having problems with some customers models of receivers,please bear with us while we address this problem. :lol:

15. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    So then bad guide data?

Just now I hit my guide button and timed it. 45 seconds for the guide to display.

16. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    It's baaaack! (And slower than last time).

17. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    These recent problems aren't remote related. The box takes the command from the remote just fine, it is just a delay in processing it. When you push "guide" the lights flash and then after a lengthy delay the guide will finally display. Other commands do not suffer the same delay. The Info command displays quickly as do others like format, list, etc.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    My HR24-100 was off all night. I just turned it on, pressed guide, & 2-3 seconds later it was ready.

Maybe only certain models are affected.

19. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    For sure. My HR-24 has been largely unaffected by this recent phenomenon, but my HR-22 which is already a turd on a good day, become far worse. 20-30 secs to pull up the guide and anywhere from 5 - 10 secs to scroll. Then when it does scroll it takes several more seconds for the info to change from the previous channel to the channel currently hilighted.

20. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Once the firmware updates started about 5-6 weeks ago, things have gotten much better for me on my HR20-700 and HR23-700. Yes, occasionally they slow down, especially the HR23, but nothing like what's posted here. My slowdowns are a few seconds. They're always less than 10 and usually about 2-3 seconds long. They're almost in the range of par for the course for these DVRs.

That's why when I see someone posting about delays lasting minutes, I start looking for other causes. As an old home theater installer, historically these have been IR problems, which can be as vexing as hell to solve.

We have to be careful we don't blame all slow DVRs on the well documented cases of guide/firmware problems. It's very easy to think "slow DVR" and lump everything into this catagory. Do that and you might miss the real problem.