1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SL's are the problem ?????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bobman, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I really think how many SL's people have or which ones they have relate to the amount of problems they have. I dont think this covers all the problems but ....

I am constantly maxed out at 50 SL's and just about weekly I have to delete one to add another. (ie.. Amazing Race is starting soon). I say the above as (again you can check my posting history here) my R-15 worked almost perfectly the first weeks, then I started building up the SL's and adding and adding. After I got 40-45 or so I started having problems with the SL's and lockups that I NEVER had before. Since I have been at 50 SL's thats when I started having most of my problems.

Anyone else notice anything like this ? I am not saying this is causing all the problems or everyones problems just something I noticed.

2. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I am noticing somewhat of a relationship on my survey. SurveyMonkey isn't sophisticated enough (at least the free version) to analyze it that way, and I have a very small sample, but just browsing through the results, anecdotally, I see people who have 0 or a few SLs rating it very reliable and people with 40-50 SLs rating it more towards unreliable.

I wonder if DirecTV collects as much diagnostic data as TiVo (I'd suspect not). That would really help their developers (if you guys are reading this).

3. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    In preparation for moving the R15 from the place of honor (living room) to back room, I went into the prioritizer to begin removing my 5 manual records (I'm going to leave my SL so I can monitor against my DTivo when they get it fixed). Anyway, the first 2 I tried in prioritizer to remove, when I went to DONE it fails to respond, I have to hit exit on the remote and when I go back in, it has removed the item. When I removed the 3rd, it began working correctly. All of which seems to lean toward what you are saying, when you reach it's "limits" it becomes very unstable. I'll be curious if the SL's work better once it's moved and not doing as much.

By the way, the final straw is American Idol showing only 1 show in the next 2 weeks set to record using SL. This is setup on the National feeds, not locals so that eliminates that variable. My Dtivo SL for AI shows 5.

4. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    When my wife and I got our first Tivo some time ago, it completely revolutionized the way we watch TV. We watch very few programs in "real time" any longer. We "upgraded" to the R15 on DirecTV's advice and offers. Well, I think the R15 cannot handle the recording load that the Tivos easily could. I think people who record infrequently love them, but people who are, and I hesitate to use this term, high end users find lots of problems. I don't think people who are recording a lot are attempting to do anything the machine shouldn't handle like a breeze. Our installer left at like 9:00 p.m., we went to bed a few hours later, when I woke up the first morning, one of our new R15s had already locked up. That started the love affair with the reset button. Leaker

5. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Hmmmmmm......... Maybe this is really a major problem and WHY DirecTV limited the SL's to only 50 and the to do list to only 99.

Maybe they know they box becomes unstable the more SL's you have and so a "quick fix" is to limit the number of them.

This makes sense and would explain almost exactly the problems I have been having.

6. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I almost forgot, ISWIZ have you thought about using BOTH units on the same TV ?

I am thinking of switching mine around that way today. I plan to put the R-15 right on top of the R-10 and keep the SP/SL as similiar as I can to see what happens. I will use the R-15 mostly but the R-10 will be right there backing up everything.

Since switching back to a DirecTiVo a week or so ago, I noticed I started missing some of the features that the R-15 has that the DirecTiVo's dont.

7. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm going to set them up the same but the DTivo is coming back to the Living room as I have waited long enough for the "fixes". Now I'll just monitor it until it get's it right. I too love alot of the features but bottom line is it's a DVR and if it can't record what I want when I want, it's less than a VCR.

8. TivoAddict

TivoAddict Cool Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Why can't someone make ONE DVR that has ALL of the Cool Fetures- Why must one ALWAYS get one or the other-- and WHY can't the options be "known" and chosen BEFORE getting the thing? I don't think there is ANYTHING else you buy that you can't compare the features! Direct TV told me the new DIRECT TV DVR's were NOT by TIVO- but the interface looked and behaved the same? The interface is like their regular receiver-- NOT like TIVO.... there are probably some that LIKE that-- why not be honest when relating the features and options? FRUSTRATING!

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Maybe that has something to do with using the FAT32 filesystem. There are reasons people stopping using that on their PCs when HDD sizes started growing > 40GB.

10. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    The box has over 160 GB total available to it. Whats the limit on FAT32 before it starts having issues? I havent used it in a LONG time.

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Theoretically I've seen the math where a FAT32 can be over 1TiB. Makes for some nasty sized clusters and would be questionable performance but it could be done.

I doubt the R15 has a true FAT32 filesystem. There would just be way too many problems in that one piece of the pie. Systems like NTFS or Linux/Unix were designed for speed, size and multitasking operations. My guess would be the R15 might have some mix of FAT32 and other technologies. But it does have enough FATness in it that Windows and Linux can read directories and file structures.

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Have you been able to take thing off the box and put them back and have the drive still be fully functional? Also going on that basis are you able to take a drive and do a Ghost type image to another drive and then boot off the imaged drive? I am just wondering how much can actually be done.

13. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I haven't tried putting anything on the drive. You can get files off, but how knows what they contain. I've mainly just looked at the file structure.

I haven't tried making a copy but I did read that someone created a copy using dd and that would boot. Since dd is a bit by bit copy I would expect it to work given a drive with the same geometry.

14. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Cool, thanks for the info. Once I order another DVR I will have to mess around and see what I can find. I wonder where the FAT is stored and can it bed changed to say a larger drive. Also in looking around is it all just one large drive or is it spilt up to allow there pre allocated 60gb for the VOD stuff?

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I only noticed one large partition. The division between user space and reserved space must be logical....or might not exist at this point.

This version of FAT32 is different enough in that it does allow for file sizes > 4GB. The 8 hour HLN show I recorded was stored all in one file and Linux could not display the size as it ran into an "unexpected variable". My guess is a number far larger that it was expecting from FAT32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.