1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sls3 with hr22

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by andwrwm, Aug 30, 2012.

1. andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I am trying to set up my slimline 3 with integrated swm. To make sure I am aiming it correctly I replaced the lnb with a single lnb and ran the cable into my simple sd receiver directly. In this case everything works and it gets the 101 fine. However, when I put in the power inserter and use the hr22 and the sls3 lnb, the signal meters all say zero. I have the satellite set as slimline 3 swm and the switch type as swm. Any ideas?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Any signals from the 99 and 103 sats?

3. Sep 1, 2012 #3 of 12
    revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    Ok tbh with a single lnb. Ur only looking at sat 101. With a sl3 ur looking at 99,101,103. Now there is some more information we need.

1. What are you using to peak in the single lnb what dish?

2. Are you sure the pi is towards lnb for power and signal to reciever is right?

3. Also what type of receivers too u have?

4. Sep 1, 2012 #4 of 12
    andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    @jdspencer No, no signals on anything.

@revolg
    1. I am using the slimline 3 dish with the single lnb on it to dial in the 101, thinking that when I change to the swm lnb without moving anything I should at least get the 101 and them have to tweak from there.

2. Yes, I am confident the power inserter is in correctly and working, I used it to power a simple sat finder early in the process.

3. I am using the hr22 receiver, I even got the hr22 to work with the single lnb by telling it round dish and multiswitch. When I put the swm3 lnb on I get nothing. This lnb worked like a month ago, so it makes me think I am just missing some setting/setup detail.

Thanks for the help you guys

5. Sep 1, 2012 #5 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You need to go back to the dish and double check the skew and elevation settings.
    If the skew is wrong, the dish won't get 99 or 103, but can still get 101.

6. Sep 1, 2012 #6 of 12
    andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    But I can't even get the 101 when I change to the swm lnb

7. Sep 1, 2012 #7 of 12
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The focal point and alignment might be different enough with the two different LNBs that you need some small dish adjustment. I would try azimuth first, very slowly going a few degrees either direction. If that gets you nothing, try elevation change, then azimuth again.

Before making any changes, mark all the movable parts so you can move them back to your starting point easily.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #8 of 12
    andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    @carl6 I have that a shot this morning, the signal never came off zero. The 101 is so easy to find normally that I should have seen some signal change. When it stops raining I'll take the volt meter out to make sure the pi is works. The only other thing I can think of is a bad lnb or some setting or setup detail I don't understand...any other thoughts?

9. Sep 3, 2012 #9 of 12
    andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Pi putting 20.3 volts to the swm...I'm as lost as an Easter egg

10. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    andwrwm,
    OK, I am grasping a straws here since it seems like you have tried all the rational things. I guess I would check to see what your meter reads for your SWM signal. (You can access it on the same screen as the satellite meters.) If that is zero then the LNB is not functioning. Given everything you have mentioned the only thing that comes to mind is that you have a copper-clad steel core line going to your LNB that carries the voltage, but cannot carry the current necessary to properly power the SWM LNB.

If your SWM reading is 100 percent (which it should be) and you say you have done the alignment recheck as carl6 suggested it may be time to call in a tech.
    Bob

11. andwrwm

andwrwm New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for the help. As it turned out I had a cable that was bad intermittently. Combine that with having to change between lnb's and it was making the aiming near impossible. Anyway, I got it working with full signal sitting on a table for now. Now I just need to put a post in the ground. I rent so don't want anything too permanent, do you think a large pvc pipe would work or would it flex too much?(yes, I'm a redneck)

12. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    No use a 2" pipe. I would dig 3 feet then use a quickcrete to prevent it from moving. Also make sure the pole is plumb to make dithering easier.