1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small MDU on a budget; will it work

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mertzen, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Just setting up a small MDU but owner is not willing to invest, so we're working on something we can do with Dish equipment we have laying around.
    We got about 7 to 8 units wanting Dish network.
    Out main goal is to offer at lease HD, Dual tuner and at least 3 TVs.
    Currently I've been told two wires go to each apartment so we can run in one DP line and one DPP line.

International will be available and in that case the customer will get two DPP lines.

We'll have 2 dishes at first, one with DP Quad for 110/119 feeding DP34s and DP44s and a DP Dual doing the same for 61.5

If the demand is there we can add a dish for 118.75.

I don't see any issues but who knows ;)

Attached Files:

2. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    Be careful. If you are a retailer and use a master antenna system on that building to serve multiple customers, you must set it up as an MDU property and offer the MDU promotions. You can't set up "residential accounts" with a master antenna system. DISH will yank your reseller agreement.

With that said, you can install each unit with their own dish. Or if you want to go the MDU route, grab service for the entire building. If the owner doesn't want to chip in you are going to have to think about how much you want to invest in this. We sell the idea (fact) that satellite offered in an MDU will keep tenants longer. We have several tenants that get the welcome pack with CC auto pay. Locals, welcome pack, and Cinemax for $15.00 a month. Cable doesn't come close.

If you can grab the whole building and want to make a project of it, splurge and buy the equipment and build it out. If you have two lines to each apartment, a cheap way would be to use DPP on both lines so you can offer two 612's. Being in NYC I assume you are Eastern Arc, so go with 61.5, 110, 119, and 118. You should have enough to keep everyone happy.

We enjoy doing MDU and would like to get some more buildings if we could.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    How would they, find out'. I understand what you're saying and on some level as the tech I don't care. But I don't want my boss to lose the Dish contract.

Id going to be hard, we have some restriction on new wiring.

4. avmaster

avmaster Legend

May 29, 2008
    do they not use 1000+ dishes in your area? out west here we use the 1000+ which catches all the birds we could ever need, which is the 110, 119, 118.7 and the 129. Must be different on the east coast.

I would stack dp44 switches, that way there are no restrictions on equipmen.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    We could but:
    - We don't have any 1000+, and plenty of Dish 500s
    - We would need multiple 1000+ to run two series of switch
    - We have plenty of DP34 and few DPP44, plus the no PI does make it easier

Again we're on a budget here, if we can do it with equipment we have that's the way to go.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    129 might be kinda low on the horizon in NY.

7. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    How would they find out? No matter how many stickers you place on your equipment, when there is a problem there is a good chance they will call DISH Network directly. There is no guarantee you will get the trouble call. In many instances if the customer yells loud enough they will call a local retailer (3 way call) and see if the retailer can get out there today to fix it. We have this all the time. When either dish or the retailer go out there it will be quite obvious that not everyone has their own dish and that you are running residential on a shared antenna. Now the problems start.

But back to the technical aspects. How long will the longest run of coax be? Have you considered using a dish 500 with an I bracket and a dual dp lnb for each DBS orbital location and feed to a DPP33 switch (no PI needed) or DPP 44? You will need an FSS dish for the 118.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not sure, 25 unit building so I doubt over 100ft.

What would the benefit be over pulling 110/119 combined with a dish pro quad
    Yup, that;s in the attached diagram in the OP.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A DishPro Twin or Quad has a built-in multiswitch that soaks up a lot of the DC voltage coming from the receivers, and is additional complexity that is unnecessary. For better long-term reliability, running straight LNBs with no additional switch is the way to go.

10. avmaster

avmaster Legend

May 29, 2008
    Nah you would only need one dish, or in your case set of dishes. run the dpp44's first, then the 34's. you can pretty much daisy chain them till the cows come home.

11. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    Isn't NYC in an Eastern Arc market? Aren't the locals at 61.5 in HD? I would go Eastern Arc if you can. Also, if you are going to use switches and individual dishes, don't use a switched lnb like a twin. Use dish pro singles or duals into the switch. The DP singles or duals rarely fail as there is no built in switch.

12. avmaster

avmaster Legend

May 29, 2008
    just remember that you cannot run any dual tuner or DPP reciever off a DP feed since its not a stacked siginal, the seperator will not work. I would stick to 44's or 33's like others mentioned. It sounds like it would be a headache otherwise.

Legally, whatever you do, I can't give you advice, but there was a company that got in big trouble here recently for doing something similar with DirectTV, the FBI was involved as well. Keep that in mind. 8 different people at different addresses even though its the same building still consitutes siginal fraud. Trying to run them all on one residential account is going to raise a big red flag with Dish. It wasn't very clear if each was going to have their own accounts and just be pre-wired for dish and ready to go how they want, or if you were trying to do it a different way.

13. quannj

quannj Cool Member

Jun 2, 2009
    well i guess i'll throw in my 2 cents..we have a few subs that opted to grab up some prime apts in my local MA to the office...

heres the problem that i have with retailers doing mdu thing..they don't tell dish commerical that they have right of way for NC's @ said addresss.. i get the WO and i'm out to install the customer..i get to the apt complex and notice that every building has a 5plus and 61 on top..do some digging and a find the 44...so whatever..i have the WO..i need the points i install..

the fing sub pull out my install which causes me my only TC for the month and now the retailer is dealing with my office...

what i'm getting @ is this..the local DNS could give a **** about ya contract with the building...just call up commerical and have them note the address so when customers call up for things it will auto route to you & not the local DNs which in your case would be the college point office:)

as for the setup...every retailer mdu i've been too had 500+ with 61 wing and used only 44's..some places only allowed 1 DT and some allowed 2 DT's..i guess it's up to you..

i say go for it if theirs a large international group in the building...should be an easy sale

14. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    If the retailer sets up a bldg for MDU, he has to tell DISH that it is an MDU property. The commission structure is totally different for MDU than residential. Now, if the retailer is stupid enough to set up a master antenna or shared antenna and sets everyone as separate residential accounts, DISH will charge him back as this type of install is strictly forbidden and goes against the retailer agreement.

Here is the problem (which by the way gets resolved in August): DISH would allow a work order for a residential install in a qualified commercial MDU building to go through. They didn't care. If the retailer finds it, DISH will acknowledge and take it off. If the retailer does not find it, he loses out on $$$.

Starting in August, if any address comes up close to being an MDU property, it will not allow the account to be created. Took I don't know how many YEARS to do this. Finally.