1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Smart 3012

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnnytex, Aug 21, 2014.

1. johnnytex

johnnytex Legend DBSTalk Club

Jul 20, 2007
    HR44-500
    Software 0x08C2
    External hard drive
    SansDigital dual enclosure RAID 0

Was having some stuttering so ran hard drive diagnosis from start-up menu.

SMART LONG AND SHORT TEST
    ERROR 3012.

No problems on the SanDigital.

Box seems to work fine now.

Anyone know that error code?
    Should I replace?

Thanks.

Tex

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, with the external, the internal drive really isn't used. And if you replace, any recordings on the external won't be playable.

I would also seriously reconsider using RAID 0. There is no benefit, only increased risk (unless you really mean RAID 1.) Some call the increased risk of RAID 0 a myth, I personally disagree with that. But there is really no benefit with a DVR.

3. johnnytex

johnnytex Legend DBSTalk Club

Jul 20, 2007
    Sorry, I meant RAID 1.
    And the errors are on the external drive.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Got it. If you can determine which drive has the issues, I would certainly replace that drive. Myself, I'd probably run Spinrite on it, but I already own a copy.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Smart error codes only go from 01 to 254. Also, since you're using a raid enclosure your not actually testing individual drives, you're checking an array. To check the drives you'd need to test them individually.