1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Smart Strips power saver and DVR

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Mikegerard, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikegerard

Mikegerard New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Anyone have experience using a SmartStrip power saving device with a DVR?

A SmartStrip is a power strip that cuts the power to all items plugged into the power strip when the main item (TV) is turned off.

Most of the other devices I have look like they would be unaffected by this.
    Not sure about the wear and tear on the DVR though. Also, would I lose my program since the DVR was not plugged in overnight?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    Do NOT use these with your DVR.
    For several reasons.
    1) if you have any timers set during the power off time, you will NOT get those recordings.
    2) When a DVR loses power, it has to reboot, which is good ocassionaly but not everytime you power off your TV.
    3)updates and program guide info is normaly fed to the DVR at night, using these would be altering that schedule.
    4) DVRs are NOT meant to function with their power being interrupted SO often.

IN FACT you should consider using a UPS
    (battery back up - power surge combo protector)
    INSTEAD on your DVR. This will help protect and make your DVR function FAR better.

3. Mikegerard

Mikegerard New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Thanks...

Did not even think about the recording isssue....

Would be a real bummer to never be able to record.

Maybe I'lll try to smart strip for some of the other items (DVD player, receiver) and go with a BackUPS for the dish.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.