1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Does it make any sense to get a smart tv when the receivers we have all have pretty much the same features in them? just wondering if some of you have smart tvs and if you find it beneficial.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I have smart tv's in 2 locations in my house. Mostly for the Netflix app. That's the one thing (that I use, at least) that my DTV receivers don't have.

3. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The thing is that the better TVs tend to have "smart" features along for the ride. I have a Panasonic VT50 plasma with "smart" features but I never use them. I see no point in paying extra just to get the smart features, where other boxes tend to do a better job. I primarily use Amazon Instant Video, so I have a Roku box for that.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I use it mainly for Netflix and Amazon video. I have a Roku as well, but have primarily just used the functions built in.

What's interesting is that they can be used as a backup. If you had family over at Christmas and you're doing a Doctor Who marathon on the Roku, and the service goes down, it is possible that it will still work on the TV. I had that problem with Amazon Instant Video. Went down on the Roku worked fine on the TV.

5. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I use my smart TV to view Amazon Prime. Other than that, it's just a TV.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    "Smart" Tvs, and many BluRay players, have similar capabilities built into them. I use mine for Netflix and for Amazon. But as has been posted, in many mid to high end Tvs, the features are there "for the ride". As far as I am concerned, I'm buying the TV I want - if it's a "smart" Tv, that's an extra.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    About two years ago when I bought my Samsung 3D TV, they wanted a grand more for the same TV, same exact features it I wanted the "smart version" I have 2 Apples TVs. I passed

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a Smart Panny plasma. I never use the features. Just doesn't work as well as my BD players which have most of the same features and upscale most content.

Rich

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think you will find that the "Smart Features" built into the DirecTV receivers are pretty lacking. Pretty much any Smart TV, Blu Ray player, or streaming box such as a ROKU or Apple TV, etc. is going to give you a lot more options and functionality.

Like the others I buy the TV mostly based on it's picture quality etc. I would rather buy a Blu-Ray player or streaming box to get the smart features I want. The great thing about that is it is usually much more reasonable to replace a Blu-Ray player or streaming box every few years to get the newer model that has more features, runs smoother, etc.

The main exception to this would be if I was looking to get into RVU. For that right now your only choice is a Smart TV for the most part. I'm hoping sometime soon Samsung and Sony start thinking about adding RVU client software to their Blu-Ray players as I feel that would be a great solution.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps the PS3 or PS4 would see the RVU 'light" sometime

11. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    can someone explain the RVU tvs and how they work with the genie..

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Pretty much the same way a DirecTV client works with the Genie. some folks report that they tend to have a little lag

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sony already announced the PS3 would eventually get an RVU client update, but I haven't heard of it actually happening. I imagine if/when it does the PS4 will get it also (or maybe it will have it at launch?).

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I know (knew) that :angel:

15. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    so do you need a box or will the tv just act as a receiver? i assume this will still have the mirroring fee of 6.99

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you have an RVU TV, you wont need a box. and yes, the RVU TV carries the same fee as any other receiver

17. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just bought a new TV and decided to go the smart TV route. I got an LG which has just about everything a Roku has(I have a Roku 3 on this connection now) except for NHL Gamecenter. So I was thinking of getting an Apple TV to complement the LG smart TV, which would add ESPN 3(since I get that through Charter) along with HBOGO(sinde Directv is playing idiotic games with Rokus) to this, along with airplay for our ipad and then move the Roku to another set and have a few of my TVs covered(I have an XBox 360 on another TV)