1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartcard Warning

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by retexan599, Mar 25, 2009.

1. retexan599

retexan599 AllStar

Aug 1, 2006
    Today I started getting a warning on my TV screen that I need to install a new Smartcard by April 8th to continue viewing several channels. I have never had a Smartcard on this ViP622 for as long as I have had the unit (since July 2006). I called the service line and have been told that I should have received a (new) Smartcard, which I have not received. The CSR said that he was 'extending my service for 30 days' and that I would receive a Smartcard in the mail which I must install to continue service. He promised that the warning messages (which are annoying) would stop during the 30 days but I am still getting the warnings. Are there others who are getting this warning? This all seems like a PITA....

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Actually - your Smartcard was built into the circuit board. Dish is changing encryption and to continue to receive service, you will need the new Purple Smartcard. Dish will be sending it to your "Service Address", so if you're a "mover" you may not get it.

3. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Nope they send it to your billing address.

4. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I have service at two locations. both use the same billing address and separate service addressed.

both cards came to the billing address.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Ok - so I had a 50/50 shot and I blew it.

I'm still waiting on mine for my 625.

6. himini

himini Mentor

Feb 12, 2007
    If it's built into the circuitboard, how do we put in the new one?

7. jbrooks987

jbrooks987 AllStar

Jun 5, 2004
    There's a small door, usually on the left side of the front panel, that you can pull open. Behind that door will be a small slot that the card will fit into.

8. himini

himini Mentor

Feb 12, 2007
    Thank you so much for the info!

9. glover9

glover9 New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Channel 998 should appear in your guide which demonstrates how to install the new smart card. This channel will disappear once the new smart card is installed.

10. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    FYI, the smart card comes in a plain envelope, at least it did for us. My wife thought it was junk mail and said she almost threw it out.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It comes in an envelope with a LARGE maroon stripe on it!!

At least mine did.

12. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Mine came (last week) in a big envelope with red "Dish Network" strip across the top, and "Urgent! Open Immediately to avoid interruption of your Dish Network Service..." right under the address... Kinda hard to miss.

Credit cards come in plain white envelopes. :)

13. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    Wow! Maybe the first one comes in a plain envelope, looking like a throwaway credit card come on, and the next one comes with shouting. Or maybe it's just not a uniform project. You'd think it would be the same for everyone though. or maybe the style was changed part way through due to too many people tossing the drab one. odd.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't pitch anything without opening it as some rather plain looking envelopes are pre-approved credit card offers that can be used for identity theft. I shred those.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    No, the only way it comes is with the warning clearly stated on an extra large envelope. It also said "do not bend", do you think my mailman obeyed that request? At least the card survived my mailman's mangling (the envelope is so large the credit card sized smart card stayed straight even though the rest of the envelope got folded).

16. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    I don't remember any extra large envelope but it's been awhile now. Are you connected with that mailing in some way Michael? Otherwise, how would you know that everyone got the exact same packaging?

17. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    My guess is it's a pretty obvious idea that sending millions of smart cards out they aren't decorating some and not others, they'd probably be mailed the same with the exception of possibly a change in packaging during deployment. it's not like they were all sent out the same day

18. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Here's the envelope my new smart cards came in.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I was going to write 1,000 words, but that says it all. :)
    That's the kind of envelope I received as well. Not sure how someone could discard that as junk mail.

20. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    If that's what everyone received then there shouldn't be any problems. :)