1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphone/PDAs: CNet Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    In my pursuit of a suitable Smartphone/PDA for my purposes , I found a cool feature on CNet - per device video reviews of selected PDAs and smart phones. Also, tech specs and latest prices just a link away.

Here's the list -

CNet Smartphones videos
    Audiovox PPC4100 - 12/1/04
    Audiovox PPC6601 - 12/1/04
    Audiovox SMT5600 - 10/12/04
    Motorola MPx200 - 5/28/04
    Motorola MPx220 - 1/21/05
    Nokia 6600 - 6/15/04
    palmOne Treo 600 (GSM) - 5/26/04
    PalmOne Treo 600 (Sprint, CDMA) - 5/26/04
    palmOne Treo 650 (Cingular, GSM/GPRS) - 3/9/05
    PalmOne Treo 650 (Sprint, CDMA) - 5/16/05
    palmOne Treo 650 (Verizon Wireless) - 5/16/05
    RIM BlackBerry 7100t - 9/10/04
    RIM BlackBerry 7750 - 1/25/05
    Samsung SCH-i600 - 5/28/04
    *Samsung SCH-i730 - 3/21/05
    Samsung SPH-i500 - 5/28/04
    Siemens SX1 (GSM) - 5/19/04
    *Sony Ericsson S710a - 1/6/05
    Sony Ericsson P900 - 5/26/04
    *Sony Ericsson P910a - 1/26/05
    T-Mobile Sidekick II - 8/4/04

*reviewed @ CES

http://reviews.cnet.com/T_Mobile_Sidekick_II/4660-6452_7-6239141.html - scroll down the page for the complete list.

2. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    I haven't seen the iPAQ h6315 on the T-Mobile site.....very strange. (I see they only list the sidekick)

I like [the look of] the Siemens SX66 [Cingular] but I've never actually used or handled one.

3. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I heard there is a new version of the IPAQ6315 coming out. No details but that may be why T-Mobile dumped the 6315. However, my local store is still selling them.

4. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    Interesting.....looks like my girlfriend may be getting a "new" phone for Christmas! :lol:

On another note....Don, what do you have your phone set to under start>>settings>>system>>power>>standby? I'm not sure I get what all this is about. Mine is set to 72hrs. Why would you not want it to be on 96?

5. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Do a google on a 6325. I see Cingular has adopted that one. Probably the way HP is cheating around their exclusive on that design. Since T-Mobile is not pushing the 6315 plus they have the exclusive. I'd bet, behind the scenes, there is a little squabble between the two companies on this. Doesn't the exclusive expire in August?

I have mine set for 48 hours. I really don't think it matters much if you are active with it. More important is how you have your backup to SD card set. If you do it right, it will save/ backup all your latest appointments and other volitile RAM stuff to the non-volitile memory card when the battery gets to a low set level. This prevents losing it if you accidently forget to recharge the battery. That has saved me several times after making the mistake once.

6. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    Wow, that phone is the 6315. I guess it has some software updates. :shrug: They should put a slightly faster processor in these things and let you remove a lot of the pre-installed junk. Those are the only complaint I have with them. Maybe a little better camera, maybe.

August was the roll-out date so I would imagine that August is when the deal is up.

7. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I would suggest the following for a real top of the line IPAQ-
    Faster processor but more importantly, double the internal ram. I really have no issue with the processor speed since I'm not doing fancy calculations or data processing, or rendering video with the IPAQ. What I do is plenty fast and I really have no idea why so many complain about it unless it's the geek patrol just looking at specs. I understand the tradeoff in battery life was larger screen vs. processor speed. Larger screen does have more appeal to me!

But here is where I would want the next IPAQ to improve- Much better camera and include video camera ability as well.
    Improve the function of the voice recorder to record phone conversations. This is a software issue as the IPAQ does it but the implementation is quite awkward.
    Speakerphone- louder and better quality.
    I want better win Media 9 player implementation from IE too. I suspect Microsoft will have that upgrade soon though. That's really not an issue with IPAQ but one of Microsoft. In otherwords, if I click on a link in a website that is flash or wm9, it won't play but downloads the ascii. I can load the URL of the video file in wm9 and it plays fine. IE for Pocket PC doesn't call up windows media player.

PS- I purchased some new applications recently and will install them tonight. One is a spanish/english translator. I have no idea how this will work but I'm going to Mexico in the Fall and want to be prepared with some useful phrases. I'll also try your link to upgrade the wifi you sent me awhile back.

8. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Re- WMP, when Windows Mobile 2005 comes out, Media Player will be upgrade to version 10.

9. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
  10. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Personally, I don't like the tiny micro keys on the slide and integrated keyboards. My eyes can't read that tiny text labels on the keys. Then pushing the micro buttons that are convex is an exercise in errors! I'm much faster with the onscreen keyboard and the pointer. But that's just a personal issue I have. maybe if I were 35 years younger...

Otherwise the reviews are not bad. I suspect someone will make a high end does it all PDA in about 2 years when I wear out my IPAQ 6315!

BTW- Just loaded two killer applications last night. Spanish speaking translator and a national radar map called storm chaser. Check it out at:

http://www.pocketderelict.com/stormchaser.html

It really works great and adds one more use for the PDA.

PS- N8- that upgrade to build 63 did not like my IPAQ. It refused to load with some sort of incompatibility screen. I do have the correct requirements. Since my wifi works great anyway, I'm not going to worry about it.

11. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    This may be true (the age thing). I do alright with the little attached keyboard but I never have it with me when I travel, that is why I like the idea of the slide down version. Did you see that contest for typing on those things? It was sick! There is an app that makes a big keyboard on the screen. Looks like it would take some getting use to, though.

I will check out that weather radar app. you linked.

12. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    Sorry, forgot to say this. I haven't noticed any changes with that WiFi update (it had what it did listed but I can't tell any changes). It took to mine but I can't really tell what it did. You probably aren't missing much.

One of the best things I have done for my PDA was this screen protector . I keep mine in my pocket so it is a must (no case or anything).

I like that stormtracker software. Much better resolution than the radar images that I get with journal bar.