1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Smash" gets second season from NBC

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 23, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From TVbytheNumbers (and others):
    I glad to see it renewed though I'm finding recent episodes of the show a little too bogged down in soap story arcs and I'm not real impressed with Debra Messing in this show. But the rest of the cast is excellent and the development of the production of "Marilyn: the Musical" is fun to watch.

And poor NBC. To be thrilled with ratings that places the show #3 in a competition of 3....

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It's like the old joke of Russia and the U.S. competing in basketball in the Olympics after everyone else boycotted. The U.S. wins and the headlines in the U.S. the next day read, "U.S. Defeats Russia. Wins Gold Medal." The Russian papers' headlines the next day are "Russia Wins Silver Medal. U.S. Places Next to Last." :)

- Merg

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I was just thinking how Ms. Messing seems lost here- not a good role for her. The story is way slow, and I wonder if they have enough to even finish out this year....

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I had high hopes after seeing the first show. I've been a little let down. The show needs more of Ms. Huston (who is divine), many more songs, and a lot less of that "Ellis" character. He's no fun.

5. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Agree about Ellis. Glad AH put him in his place.

The Mrs. and I are still really enjoying the show, so I'm happy it got renewed. The "Marilyn" musical production numbers are first rate, IMHO. Makes me want to see the play for real, should it ever make it to Broadway.

I was also happy to see Bernadette Peters looking so good. It's been years since I saw her in anything, and she's still "got it", IMHO.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Well that's good news at least!

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It appears that NBC has recognized that the show has "creative" problems. According to Deadline Hollywood the show "will return next fall without its creator/executive producer/showrunner Theresa Rebeck."

According to the story:
    I think they could have a much stronger second season if they bring in the right writers. Therein lies the challenge.

8. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!

9. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Liked the first episode as well, hope the second season will be better.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't know why but I usually hate shows like this, but I just love Smash. Maybe it's just Katherine McPhee I love especially when she closes her sexy eyes and belts out a song at a Bar Mitzvah. :lol: