1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Smithsonian Channel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by etexlady, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 12
    etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    I was thinking of downgrading from Premier to Choice Ultimate but while comparing the channels offered I see that the Smithsonian channel is not listed under either package or any other package for that matter. Have they dropped it from the lineup? I'm still receiving it currently but was wondering if I should expect it to go away?

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 12
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The Smithsonian channel I part of e HD extra pack, which can be added to either Ultimate or Premium.

3. Feb 9, 2012 #3 of 12
    zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Just to further clarify, it's an add on and can be added to any package. I have whatever the new name of the one that's now $68.99 and also have it.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #4 of 12
    etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    Thanks for the responses. The Direct TV site does not make it easy to compare packages so I missed the add-on listing. It's hard to figure out pricing as well.

5. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Smithsonian Channel just started running lots of ads on their shows.

It really shouldn't be a premium channel anymore. They have a limited amount of programming that they show over and over again.

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    The HD Extra Pack is an add-on package, not a premium service. The reason it exists is to provide for those HD channels that have no SD duplicates. As such, it will contain channels that have advertising.

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dish dumped Smithsonian Channel due to that.

8. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    That's true. On the other hand, the little programming they have is often quite good (if you like documentaries), and usually the sound and picture quality are excellent. I watch Smithsonian a lot.

9. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Apparently adding back, possibly this month or even Wednesday.

10. Sarcasto

Sarcasto New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Port...
    Be careful..."Aerial America" is addicting as hell.

11. detroit_fan

detroit_fan Legend

Dec 27, 2007
    i just watched my first episode, it was of MI and was pretty good but they spent way too much time on detroit and not enough time in the upper peninsula and other beautiful areas of the state. I already have Colorado set to record too, looking forward to seeing more.

12. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    ... and possibly not as a premium this time. If so, I wonder if the same will eventually happen on D*.