1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snakes

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What kind of snakes do you live with in your area? Any good stories? Folks near the Everglades ought to have some whoppers, no?

Rich

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There are over a dozen variety of snakes native in my state. The Milk Snake, Garter Snake, and Timber Rattlesnake are very common where my home is located.

3. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Most common snake here, from the poisnous variety, are Copperheads and some Water Moccasins. Thankfully, I don't live on a plane.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No real stories, all I've seen around here "in the wild" are Gartner snakes, which I was interested to learn actually do produce a mild venom.

I had a teacher that told us to look for the pits to determine whether they were venomous or not. My response to that was that if you can see the pits, you are too close. Personally, I just give them all their space, even the Gartner. Not afraid, but still don't want to be bitten, even by one without dangerous venom.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How do you deal with the rattlers? A friend of mine used to own a home in the Poconos in PA and always carried a smooth bore derringer...just in case.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've read books about snakes just as I do with everything else that bothers me. And most herpetologists seem to be of the opinion that there is danger in any snake bite. If not venom, then bacteria. We have Ribbon snakes here in my part of NJ, altho I did shoot a rattler when I was a kid. Now, when I do yard work or just go to my hammock, a machete is always with me. Living so near a river has many drawbacks.

Rich

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They're only aggressive in the Spring. As with most snakes unless startled or cornered they tend to avoid humans. We're more concerned about our pets making contact.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Lots of Snakes here in Texas, but when I was a kid I spent several summers in rural Arkansas and spent a lot of time running around in the woods where we'd come across rattle snake all the time. We'd also come across water moccasins in the local swimming holes just about every time we went swimming. Ticks, chiggers, rattle snakes, water moccasins, those were great summers as a boy.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
  10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I actually went into the backyard one day, and my dog was lying in the backyard with a garter snake right next to him. I don't know if my dog laid down next to the snake, or the snake went up to him, but that was quite a startling sight. He seemed quite oblivious.

I do sometimes fear that my father, will be walking in his woods and step on a rattler or something. He has nerve damage from the army and can't hear a rattle.

My grandfather on the other side actually did get bitten by a copperhead, drove himself to the hospital.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We had a Burmese Python in college (Jose Cuervo) for 4 years. Was a great snake the first three years, and then during the summer after that one of my roomates took him home to Maine and lost him. He was found 4 months later trying to cross the road and a newspaper segment led him back to us. By this time he was about 8' long and his time in the wild didn't help his demeanor. When we got him back to campus, he was a different snake and bit two of us over the course of a couple months and we had to get rid of him.

Was lots of fun for awhile though and a great conversation piece on campus. The local pet store stopped letting us buy their prized rabbits after awhile and we kept having to find people to go buy them for us. We had blue ribbons and rabbit certificates posted all over our apartment depicting rabbits he had snacked on.

Was interesting to wake up to an 8' snake curled around you in the night though and he freaked out a lot of female guests when they'd wake up at night with a snake in the bed (we never had a cage for him).

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I thought snakes biting too fast for your swing of the machete and you'll probably miss it when will try to hit her.

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can usually work your way around them to get them with a machete. They strike fast, but typically only about 4' (in North America) and in one direction (where they're facing).

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Had a Rat Snake on my balcony during the summer. It played dead. Didn't touch it, because it leaves a smelly slime on your hands.

It soon gave up playing dead and slithered off.

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have lived around rattlers a lot of my life. One time in middle of the day my wife picked up a sheet of siding that had been laying on the ground. She discovered a rattler and dropped the siding. The snake was gone by the time I got there. Poor guy, there he was snoozing in the dark, suddenly there was a bright light, then the sky fell on him.

On that property, we'd started getting a ground squirrel problem - they were undermining everything. Then the rattle snakes showed up. No ground squirrel problem.

But where we live now, we've only seen garter snakes.

16. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    Essentially, no snakes at all here in Hawaii. There is one type of small land snake that can be mistaken for a worm. And a poisonous sea snake, but it is extremely rare.

It is illegal to bring any snake to the islands.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My dog kills snakes, glad we don't have any venomous snakes in our area. How about Nam? I've heard some good stories from guys who were there about the snakes.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't think I'd be able to sleep with one in the house.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Nothing really nearby worth noting. Out in the Coachella Valley where I lived in years past there were plenty of rattlers.