1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNL 9/26/09

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by davemayo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Did anyone else hear the F-word on SNL during the biker chick skit? It was clear as day.

2. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Jenny Slate's first "friggin" show on the season premier and she drops the F-Bomb!!! Can't really blame her, tho. The entire sketch was a "friggin" mine field!

3. john_fl

john_fl AllStar

Aug 20, 2006
    Ha, yup, about one hour, thirteen into the show. Dirty biker girls...I thought they had a delay...

4. butters

butters AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Yeah, I heard it too. I just assumed that since it wasn't bleeped out or otherwise edited that I was just hearing things. I also thought they had a delay or some other safeguard in place. Yes, it was a 'friggin' mine field. I was wondering if anyone would slip up and apparently they did.

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    SNL is dying a slow death.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Slow?

I think SNL is a reanimated zombie already ;)

7. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    ... as is NBC itself.

8. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I managed to stay awake through WU.
    One good joke in there _Glenn Bekcs new book just wrote itself) and the rest of the show horribly unfunny.

The show is lame as can be.
    Last year had some bright spots, but they were all Tina Fey's.
    Without her, it's truly pathetic.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We in the other time zones missed it, of course. But Lorne Michaels weighs in in the Washington Post:
    I'm probably really dumb, but on a show running in a midnight time slot, what reasoning goes into making the real word worse or frickin' an acceptable word?

I mean, I realize the in BSG as they slaughter people right and left, they had to use frakkin to avoid traumatizing the 8 year old kids as their parents prepared them for their future of killing people while remaining celebate.:rolleyes:

10. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Sorry, but I didn't understand a thing you said there... not a thing!

11. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I recorded and watched it last night (East coast feed). Yeah, she dropped the F-Bomb. You have to wonder though how many people actually noticed. I showed the scene to my 24 year old son without telling him anything and he didn't even notice until I pointed it out.

I do feel bad for her. Her first show and she does something like that. The skit was ripe for a slip though. A few years ago there was a skit with Jimmy Falon and Janet Jackson. The scene was an Italian winery and they were talking about "Soaking the cork". Jackson came very close a few times. She had to stop mid sentence from saying the "real" thing. It was quite funny though.

12. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I guess just fear on NBCs part of angering viewers. At that time of night, they can pretty much do what they want content wise without sanctions.

13. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't think broadcast TV was wide open at ANY time of day???

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    OK. I'm asking if anyone can explain why on a TV show that airs at midnight the use of the term "f**king" is not acceptable but "frickin' " is acceptable. And I don't understand why shows that air during prime time can't use the term "f**king" but can show people being slaughtered.

I'm not looking for a discussion of the FCC which is reflecting the fear of politicians losing their jobs. I'm hoping someone can provide me with insight into the kind of thinking that underlies our "decency standards." Obviously I disagree with those standards, but I just cannot wrap my head around the thinking underlying this determination of what is so offensive that it must be prohibited.

And I say this in the context of Oprah discussing actual incest events on daytime TV.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree that it's foolish what we will and will not allow on television. Such is the world we live in, and television is only a mirror of it.

BTW I live in the west so I'm sure I wouldn't have heard it.

16. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Ahhh, got it now, thanks... but I can't answer your question. I think it's AFU, too! Personally, I'm not offended by the language NEAR as much as some of the graphic content in Prime Time, but I can certainly understand the concern of parents with young kids watching.

17. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I saw/heard it in the Houston area. You should have seen the look on her face when it slipped. That was the funniest part. lol

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's not the world, it's just The US. That word would be no big deal on BBC or in many other countries.

19. Nashcat

Nashcat Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    No, no, no, no, no! There are still MANY other countries in which language like that is offensive to their moral decency. Couldn't let that one go... I wouldn't DARE to compare the morals of Europe...

20. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    FYI, it was not blocked on KUSA Denver (Mountain Time Zone). It came through loud and clear. Some radio talk shows are saying it was deliberate.