1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowbird account vs new DNS for RVs and trucks

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ljr01, May 23, 2011.

1. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm not quite sure how the snowbird accounts mentioned by our Dish folks in several threads are going to coexist with the new DNS for truckers and RVs.

Perhaps they don't and the snowbird accounts are no more? My new 5th wheel is due in a few weeks and I was going to take another shot at setting one up but now I'm getting confused. I don't want to talk to a CSR until I'm absolutely clear on what I'm asking.

What I see on the Dish web site almost sounds like I need two accounts and two or more receivers?

Would somebody from the Dish Team clarify?

2. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I just have one DISH account. When I am in my 'sticks n bricks' home, I use the dish receiver there with the antenna on the roof. When we hit the road in the RV, I just unplug the dish receiver and carry it down to the trailer and plug it in there. I keep an extra dish antenna in the trailer for travels.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One of the DishIRT guys sent this to me by PM - This is what was sent to retailers:

Announcing New DISH Network® Distant Network Service for Recreational and Qualifying Commercial Vehicles

May 18, 2011
    The growing number of Americans purchasing recreational vehicles (RVs) and the large market of commercial truckers who enjoy TV programming while away from home presents a great opportunity to offer DISH Network Distant Network Service, which we plan to make available on May 18, 2011! DISH Network Distant Network Service is a great addition to our expanding line of TV EverywhereTM products and services!

New Distant Network Service from DISH Network – Effective May 18, 2011

Qualifying customers who want DISH Network satellite-TV service for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle may be eligible to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service from both the New York and Los Angeles DMAs, so that they can still enjoy network programming while away from home. Please note there is an additional $5.00/mo. fee for DISH Network Distant Network Services.

␣ Flex Plan Participation Required to Receive DISH Network Distant Network Service – New customers requesting DISH Network satellite-TV service only for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle must participate in the Flex Plan in order to be eligible to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service.

␣ Second DISH Network Customer Account May be Required – A customer cannot receive DISH Network Distant Network Service on a DISH Network customer account located at a fixed dwelling (e.g., the customer’s home address). If a customer already has a DISH customer account for their home address, they will need a second DISH customer account to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle. Additionally, to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service, the second customer account must be activated under the Flex Plan as mentioned above.

o Requesting More than One DISH Customer Account – If the customer already has a DISH account for his or her home address and they need to request a second account for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle, the customer needs to call DISH’s Fact Act Team at 1-888-237-4278 between 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. MT (available seven days a week). The Retailer will have 24 hours following this call to the Fact Act Team to qualify the customer for a second account. Please note that if the customer is not qualified in R*Connect within this 24- hour timeframe, the customer must call the Fact Act Team again and repeat the process.

␣ In order for DISH Network to provide a customer with DISH Network Distant Network Service, a customer will need to successfully submit the following documentation to the fax number, e-mail address or physical address indicated on the “Recreational and Commercial Vehicle Declaration – Distant Network Service Authorization Request” form:

1. Correctly completed “Recreational and Commercial Vehicle Declaration – Distant Network Service Authorization Request” form (form available at www.dishnetwork.com and on DISH Portal);

2. Correctly completed “Equipment Service Requirements” form (form available at both www.dishnetwork.com and also DISH Portal); and

3. A Photocopy of either:
    a. The current registration for the customer’s RV for which the customer is requesting DISH Network Distant Network Service (if requesting access for a recreational vehicle), or

b. Photocopy of the customer’s commercial driver’s license (if requesting access for a qualifying commercial vehicle).​
    Please note that the customer account that includes the RV or qualifying commercial vehicle MUST have a valid customer e-mail address associated with it. The R*Connect order entry sales flow includes a field where you can collect the customer’s e-mail address. Communications to the customer from DISH regarding the request for DISH Network Distant Network Service will be conducted via e-mail.

Please advise your customers who submit a request to DISH Network for DISH Network Distant Network Services that it may take up to approximately 10 to 14 days to complete the approval process.​
    Personally, I don't see this as coexisting with the current "snowbird" arrangement where people change their address as they move around the country (generally between two points). DNS is intended to be a more "permanent" option ... no local channels (other than OTA), just distants. Being part of the "pay as you go" program one pays in advance for the months needed instead of via a long term contract.

4. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    If I'm reading all that correctly, in order to get DNS rather than locals in an RV, I'd have to have a second account and receiver in my house which is empty 6 months or so per year. Kind of silly (and expensive). I'd probably never take one of the receivers out of the box.

By the way, I asked a similar question on another forum and was told, with some conviction, that snowbird accounts are for two fixed locations not RVs. Somebody here has actually setup and used a snowbird account in an RV and it all works, correct?

5. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    So you don't get ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox via Dish when traveling?

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You could probably pause the home account while you're away and pay a minimal fee. The RV account is "pay as you go" so you only pay for the time needed. Effectively paying for one account plus a little for the pause.

I wonder if one could have two "pay as you go" accounts? One for home and one for the road?

Correct ... snowbird accounts ARE intended for fixed locations - not RVing. But as long as you don't have both locations active at the same time I doubt DISH will give you a problem. If you have a lot of receivers in an RV you could have problems.

7. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Just wondering if you have this DNS service and also have an OTA antenna would you get guide data for the OTA channels?

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They should unless DISH disabled it (like they disable OTA EPG if people didn't subscribe to their locals).

Subscribing to DNS should be enough to get OTA EPG ... and OTA EPG is an advertised part of the pay as you go service. But this is DISH Network. Logic doesn't always follow.

One technical issue: EPG is not immediate when adding new OTA channels (especially subchannels). A person could park and rescan their OTA and not see anything more that "Digital Service" until the next day. They might be able to force a download of the OTA EPG but my attempts to do so have been more miss that hit.

9. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    Now that would be perfect so i assume the answer is "no".

How would "pause" of the home account work? I didn't know there was such a thing. That would be a close 2nd choice if I could make it work. The only downside is that I would still need a 2nd receiver that I don't really want.

Don't the pay-as-you-go accounts have a restriction on hardware? I thought I read that somewhere.

If there is a DIRT member reading this, would you help me set one of these options up? If you'll PM me I'll send account info. Past experience hasn't left me with much faith in the phone CSRs being able to pull it off.

10. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    My service address is in the NYC coverage area so I get the prime networks nationwide (standard definition). But, even if I did not have the service area in NY, the OTA coverage of the networks these days is pretty good.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hopefully one will, or pick one and send them a PM.

One note ... if you go a "two account" direction you will need to go through the people at the special number so your accounts get flagged appropriately. Otherwise one could have problems later.

12. GWMontee

GWMontee Cool Member

Jul 5, 2002
    What channels is Dish using for western Distants?

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    LA

14. GWMontee

GWMontee Cool Member

Jul 5, 2002
    I am sorry, Does anyone know what dish channel numbers? such as 8833,8845 etc. Thanks.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Western Arc (SD on 119, HD on 110):
    9950 WABC SD
    9951 WCBS SD
    9952 WNBC SD
    9953 WNYW SD
    9954 KABC HD
    9955 KCBS HD
    9956 KNBC HD
    9957 KTTV HD
    9958 PBS National Feed SD

Eastern Arc (72.7):
    9950 WABC HD
    9951 WCBS HD
    9952 WNBC HD
    9953 WNYW HD
    9954 KABC SD
    9955 KCBS SD
    9956 KNBC SD
    9957 KTTV SD
    9958 PBS National Feed SD

16. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    I did get a PM and some more info. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to what I had with Sobongo without paying for an extra account and receiver I would use very little if at all. Even with maximum pause it would be quite a waste.

Don't know what I'll do now. Phooey.

17. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Has anyone actually received DNS from EA?

18. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Sooooo........all one really needs is a commercial drivers license to get DNS?

19. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

As to the second account lets say on my home account I sub to AEP, If I go in my RV and have to set up a second account does that mean I wont get the AEP I am already subbed to? Will I have to pay E* twice (once for my home and once for my RV) for AEP.

I can understand why they are doing this in the old days when you had the RV waiver they just turned on the DNS for all the receivers on the account. Dish is being cautious to not violate SHEVRA (or what ever it is called now).

Also unless I missed it, If I get an RV waiver will the second account have to have it's own receiver. I presume I wont be able to unplug a receiver from my home and put it in the RV.

This sounds expensive and like a major hassle. I will just stick with AAD for my DNS. Or does all this brew ha ha mean AAD (or whatever they are called now) is going away.