1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so-and-so_sucks.com

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1 of 12
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just Googled the name of a company that I occasionally do business with, just as a quick way to get their mailing address and phone number, and I found that there were a whole slew of sites that say that the princial of that company sucks. While I personally have not visited any, "...sucks.com" websites in years, about a decade ago, I did learn of them, so their existence is not news to me, but the "sucks" sites I found back then all attacked high profile people. This businessman is not a big leaguer.

Only one of the attackers furnished his own name and made specific charges. All of the rest of the posts on various sites were anonymous, short, and unspecific, saying things like, "Yeah, he's scum" and, "A real sleazeball if ever there was one" and, "I don't see how he stays in business."

Such insults have no credibility with me for a number of reasons, but I'd like to know if people who are being attacked this way have been successful in pursuing legal recourse against the parties that are assailing and maligning them.

2. Aug 3, 2012 #2 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Oops! Google Chrome could not find so-and-so_sucks.com

3. Aug 3, 2012 #3 of 12
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It's a grey area due to first amendment. Going after someone over the internet for libel is costly and generally not worth it. Unless it's something that is absolutely horrific the positives don't outweigh the negatives. Plus if people post an opinion there's nothing you can do it about it as it's legal.

So if they said I think so and so is a sleaze ball that's ok.

If they posted "So and so doesn't tip service people" and that's incorrect it's libel.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #4 of 12
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Apparently some name or description followed by "sucks.com" is popular as a Google search turned up "About 1,390,000 results." Kind of overkill. The first few probably got attention, but number 1,284.362 got lost in the static.

5. Aug 4, 2012 #5 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right. I know a labor arbitrator who explained that to me years ago. In a union setting you have to have just cause and documentation to fire a union member. Usually goes to arbitration and then the guy gets his job back because the "just cause" wasn't "just" and the documentation wasn't enough to back up termination. The example he used was the difference between calling your boss an "______" or saying "I think you're an "_______". The first way, you lose, the second way, you win. I think.... :lol:

Rich

6. Aug 4, 2012 #6 of 12
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've always thought that Stuart Sweets would be a good name for a line of hard candies, on the lines of gobstoppers or even Life Savers.

So in that case, www.stuartsweetsucks.com would be a compliment, right?

:D

7. Aug 4, 2012 #7 of 12
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    you need one more s

8. Aug 4, 2012 #8 of 12
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Killjoy.

9. Aug 4, 2012 #9 of 12
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ah, a Styx fan.

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    There was a news item a few days ago that a court had refused to issue an injunction against a website that was being sued for having cost a contractor it slammed a lot of money through libel, but the suit was still going forward, but anyway...

I may start my own site called www.rubbermadesucks.com. I have three "nice" Rubbermade 45 gallon trash cans with hinged lids. These behemoths sell for about $60 each. More precisely, I have two with broken hinged lids and one that no longer has a hinged lid.

The garbage collection crew in the town I live in now places the empty, hinged lid trash containers face down, with the lids open, and you won't believe how many of the lids get driven over before the containers get uprighted, and in cold temperatures, the lids all crack. I just drove around town today after the morning trash pickup and readily spotted dozens of broken lids, including a few "freshly broken", where the incriminating shards are lying right there.

I did some searching on the web for replacement lids and found there are scores of sites in which disgruntled owners of Rubbermade trashcans with hinged lids are complaining about how readily the lids break and that Rubbermade will not make replacements available nor even reply to their inquiries or complaints.

I went to some stores that sell Rubbermade items to get a part number for these cans to aid in my internet search for replacement lids, and while Home Depot and Lowe's no longer stocked that exact model, Best Buy did... sort of. In their dead inventory yard, they had about twenty of them with no price stickers on them and with no lids. I surmised that the lids from those last twenty units had been given to irate purchasers but that in giving them away, these units had themselves become unsellable. Believe-you-me, there are enough people out there looking for replacement Rubbermade covers that I may start my own business making them and selling them through my site named, "www.replacementrubbermadecovers.com".

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got two of them that I use as extras for recycling. Junk. Bought them at a BJs a couple decades ago. Bottoms worn thru, threw out the lids years ago, not a big fan of RM.

Rich

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Isn't it RubberMaid?

I think I know the injunction you're referencing. It wasn't a web site, but an individual who hired the contractor, then gave him a scathing review on Yelp, and Angie's list, after she wasn't happy with his work. She made some allegations like he billed her from work he didn't do, and some jewelry went missing when he was the only other person with a key to the house. He sued her for $750,000 for libel and defamation, claiming he lost $300,000 in business due to her negative reviews. The preliminary injunction was to remove the allegations and not make them again. That was denied, but the suit continues. One suit of his was already thrown out, which she claimed she "won".

A lot of review sites are watching this case with interest, as is the ACLU, and anyone who cares about Free Speech. However, the 1st Amendment only protects you from government censorship, and doesn't mean that your speech won't have any consequences.