1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I get a call from Dish !

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Ozwaldo, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozwaldo

Ozwaldo Cool Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I switched to Direct from Dish on 1/15. Yesterday I get a call from Dish retention. The guy wants to know why I cancelled. So I tell him I switched to Directv. He says that I need to come back because Dish has the most HD channels. I tell him "no they don't". Then he says that Direct is going to charge me $9.95 per receiver for HD. I tell him no and he says it's in the fine print on their website. I tell him " I got my first bill today and there is only one $9.95 charge per account" and he says "oh". The whole time he is real pushy and acting like I should cancel Direct and come back. I finally told him that I was satisfied with Dish while I had them but the part that Dish doesn't want to hear is that right now Direct is beating Dish in HD and price. He finally got it and said "Thank you and goodbye". That is the first time that I was starting to get ticked at someone from Dish and I was already gone. It just surprised me that he was using false statements to try to get me back.

2. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    You should have reminded him of your 2 year obligation to DTV ......

3. Ozwaldo

Ozwaldo Cool Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I did and he told me that I should have 30 days to get out of my contract he thought ! I said that I don't think so.

4. roadrnnr

roadrnnr AllStar

Nov 21, 2004
    I also switched in Jan and got two calls also.

Both times I told them I switched to D for NFL Sunday Ticket and they ask stupid stuff like what team do you want to see each week. Like that is going to matter!

The best part was when they told me I could keep the Dish basic package for like $29.95 a month.

Who in their right mind would do that.

Things must be pretty desperate over their.

I was with them for 5 years.

I like the programming over here better but I am still skeptical on the equipment.

I think the slider on these plastic remotes look like they won't hold up to long, I hope I am wrong.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I like the fact while you are a customer right to the point of cancellation they have no special offers. Once you are signed up with some other provider then they want to make a retention offer. Don't they realize when you are gone it is too late.

6. ben arnold

ben arnold Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    I switched to D* in Septemeber. I have a $50 credit on my account at E* and can't seem to get them to return the funds. I've tried calling 3 times. Any ideas how to motivate these ppl to return my money?

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My remote works my TV volume/on/off and my sar receiver with the slider staying in the left position at all times. Is there some reason to move the slider a lot?

8. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    If you are in California, I think by law you have 30 days to cancel the contract without penalty. I know it works that way for extended warranties and I think the same law applies to all consumer contracts.

9. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Same here. I don't think I've ever moved the slider.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Snail mail (registered letter or whatever that is) to their corporate offices asking for a check to be issued to you for the credit balance.

11. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    My D* remote controls the HR20, the television, the DVD/HTIB, and the Xbox 360.

The slider is always moving.

It is fine after more than a year.

12. Zeos

Zeos AllStar

Aug 20, 2006
    Good luck...I left E* in 2000 and had a $20 credit ....not only did I not receive it, by the time they were done they had me owing THEM $189 by claiming that they didn't receive one of the 2 receivers I'd been using (funny, they were both shipped in the same box which they provided) ....they got one, but not the other....oh, and did I mention that I didn't find out about it until I got a call from a collections agency 4 YEARS LATER?

That ****'s still on my credit report, I refuse to pay it out of principle .....

13. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Why?!?

Always ship them back seperately so you can keep tabs on them... ehhh...

Yea, thats about it.

14. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I switched from Dish to DTV in Dec. because I could get distant networks from DTV after Dish lost them. I am very skeptical on DTV's equipment, the tech is on his way here today to replace the receiver again. I'll be on my third receiver in six weeks after today. HR20-100

15. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I just activated D* last saturday with two HR 21s. So far so good. The D* HD PQ is very good. Have not canceled E* yet, but the D* HD sports programming is far superior (as far as what I wanted) than E*. Had been with E* since 8/03. I have an E* 622 and 722. Looks like I will be canceling E* in April (after NBA LP and NHL CI run out).

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Not any kind of excuse and I'm not fully versed on this process, but I read a post on the board earlier that the poster indicated that the reason DirecTV uses FedEx is that they can track things in their system better somehow with them. I think when DirecTV issues a return kit, the tracking number or some other number on the FedEx ticket is tied with the receiver. Once the package (via the tracking or whatever number) is marked as "Delivered" by FedEx, I think that's when DirecTV's system is updated to show that they've received it (thought there are obviously exceptions to that as also posted on this board).

Not the best of practces in my book, but it doesn't seem that there is anything in place where someone from DirecTV at the receiving site actually cracks open a box and "logs in" the equipment that was returned. I can certainly see where returning two units in a box that is coded in the system for just one would cause the type of problem you had, and why CJTE's post is so valid.

It sure would be nice if there were a visual/manual back up in place for equipment returns that would avoid some of the problems they seem to have with it.

Sorry to hear that you got hosed.

17. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm happy with the PQ, it's just I hoped the receivers were as good as E* so far not so much. lol He just left and it was the receiver again.

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    While I think it's horrible that some people seem to have so much trouble with the equipment, I must say that I have six HR20s and an HR21 and I have not had one equipment problem with any of them. I can't understand the run of luck it takes to get three bad ones in a row.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, BKC.

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I move ours a lot. We have 2 DVR's in the living room stack.

20. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks. Actually it's only two bad ones, the third one was just installed and is working fine.:lol: I hope it's the last one, I might have to buy that service plan just in case. :nono2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.