1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried to go back to DirecTV...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bob13654, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    I called and tried to reorder, but kept getting stuck on the "Free HD". The CSR kept saying that it was only for new customers. It's not a lot of money, but it ticked me off. I'm not a current customer, I am currently with cable, shouldn't I be eligible for this promotion? Just because I had service years ago doesn't mean that they are getting any money out of me now. I would think that they would want someone that was buying their highest package and a bunch of add-ons. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

2. acer505

acer505 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    If you are married just have your wife call and use her name and a different credit card.
    That will work.

3. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    You could ask about the 24 months of FreeHD for current customers. Who knows, by the end of the 24 month period, HD may be included in the base packages.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Better still. Use the wife, different credit card and the "Tell A Friend" promo!

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    and/or the AAA offer.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    How many years ago? They considered me a new customer after I was absent for seven years.

7. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    Can you really combine the AAA and Refer a Friend discount?

8. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    So I just called again. Now I'm being told that I don't qualify for any promotions and that I would have to buy all my equipment, when the last guy told me free HD DVR, free HD receiver and $199 for second DVR. My account was always in good standing, that was the first thing they mentioned when they took the call.

What the hell is going on over there. Do they not want customers back?

9. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    hmm. did you use your wife's SSN? the credit check is based on that, and that determines if you have to pay a deposit...

I'd call back and ask for the Reconnects Dept if you intend to reconnect your old acct. If you've been gone more than a year, you should be eligible for a returning customer offer.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Welcome to "CSR roulette". I don't know how the phone system at DirecTV routes calls, but I've discovered that if you call very early in the morning, you get friendly, helpful CSR's who speak English. ;)

Calling during peak times (late afternoon/evening/weekends) generally results in frazzled, unhelpful CSR's who are probably in a bad mood from being yelled at by folks that have sat on hold or even been disconnected.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I've experienced it at many, many companies.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    +1

I haven't noticed the frazzled CSR's in the evening since I never call then anymore. There's much less wait time with an early-morning call. My last two calls were in the afternoon PDT and the CSR's were both pleasant and helpful.

I won't go into the hoops I went through on the phone for over one hour earlier this week trying to straighten out my Verizon bill. I think it's ok now, but I asked for email confirmation and have yet to receive it 48 hours later.

12. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    For 5 months in a row, my Verizon bill has been wrong at my new office. I was quoted $79.95 plus fees and taxes for 1 line and internet. Last bill I recieved was for $142. For five months in a row, I've heard, "I corrected the bundle code, it will be right next month." I just laugh at this point, and have resolved that I will have to call once a month and get a credit, and listen to the "bundle" story.