1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So if I can't use the old cable, why cant i do this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by btarheel646, Mar 14, 2009.

1. btarheel646

btarheel646 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Why cant i take some rg6 cable and tape it to the existing cable and manually pull it through the cable outlets? Am I going to tear up other cables or insilation if I do this. Less then 100 foot runs, it makes sense to me. please tell me. Or am I going to tear up my other electrical runs if I try this.

2. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Too many curves, too much friction, cable is too thick and not flexible enough. I'm sure there are more issues too

3. btarheel646

btarheel646 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Not a whole lot of curves or friction, if I can do this it will really simplify the install.

4. rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    not many but some houses ive seen the cable just droped in the cavity .. best ting to do is remove the face plate and shake the cable if it moves all over and you can hear it in the walls then its not tacked onto the stud tape on the new wire and pull up.

If you cant budge it you can do what i did in my house and bust off the top of the junction box in the wall then find the hole in the headder and drop in a glow rod or fish line...

Good luck

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    It might look easy and it might be. But trust me, coax coils up and gets stuck really really easy.

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd have to say it can be done but as folks have pointed out it's a matter of distance. What I mean by that is a pull from say an attic to the room below, assuming the cable is loss in the wall, isn't that hard. Same could be true of a pull from a crawl space up a floor or two. If the cable was added after the house was built there's a strong, strong chance it's not stapled in the wall. I'd also bet they didn't do long runs for the very reasons people have stated. I've had it work easily and quickly and I've had it be a real pain and the only way to find out is to try. Again, if the cable was added to the house after construction then there's a good chance you'll be able to work it out.

7. kd4ao

kd4ao Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    So why can't you use the old cable? At least try it. a few feet won't even make a difference. Works for me.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    What you are planning may work. If it does it will save you some time and is worth trying. Here are some hints.

Do not just tape one cable to the other. IF the old cable has a fitting you cannot pull off .....put a barrel fitting in and put another "F" fitting or compression fitting on the new cable to make a union like that. Any tape you add after that will just make it harder to pull through holes.

OR ...Strip back about a foot of center wire on each cable. Wrap these wires along the outside of the other cable......the pull will tighten against the whole cable. Tape to make a smooth outside cover.

Test pull the joint. If it breaks in a wall you are screwed.

In some situations it is best to pull fish line or a steel tape through with the old cable and then pull the new material back.

You probably won't damage anything but these can be tricky.

Good luck,

Joe

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Until the last 10 years or so, the vast majority of coax installed in houses during the build were installed by electricians. Even today, this is the case in some places. Electricians ALWAYS tack/staple the coax to the inside of the wall stud, as that's how they run all of their other wire. This means that most of the time, you won't be able to remove the existing cable or use it to pull new cable through the walls/attic.

Electricians also use the fully-backed j-boxes, because that's what they have handy, even though they should be using backless low-voltage boxes/frames.

It's one of the reasons why the installer's job can be difficult, and why wallfishes are custom work.

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Down here they do a trick with zip-ties as well. They do a 180 around the cable and then zip it to the metal stud loosely. It gives the illusion of slack when you wiggle it, but it tightens down on the cable when you try to pull on it.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I always suspected...........for some time anyhow.......that much of the problem with the smaller rg59 line was the staples and nails in it.

It looses capacity per 1000 ft below 30 degrees F so I can understand the CATV guys dumping it from their poles. What I never proved was WOs to rewire existing cx systems........had to be the staples.

Joe