1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So long, R15.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DTivoFan, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2006 #1 of 83
    DTivoFan

DTivoFan Cool Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Well, I really tried to give the DirecTV+ DVR a chance.

But, I had to deal with:

a) slow menu response
    b) manual recordings showing as "Manual Record" in MyVOD
    c) lack of dual live buffers
    d) awkward ff and rewind, resulting in my watching many commercials
    e) [related to above] lack of 30 second skip
    f) weird option to "record new, repeats, or both" as opposed to the sensible Tivo recording rules, which invoked the 28 day rule.
    g) the response to the remote commands would get so slow, that I had to reboot every week, and lose all guide info.

I finally came to the last straw when I came home last night, and my favorite show hadn't recorded, for no apparent reason.

I've ordered a DTivo thru the "DVR4Me" promo, and when it arrives, I'll transfer the R15 HD to it, and throw the rest of the R15 in the dumpster where it belongs.

2. Feb 7, 2006 #2 of 83
    Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I would not dump the R15 just yet for they will hopfully have the bugs worked out in the future and if they do this reciever will have great potential its just not quite there yet. I hope it is sooner rather than later for everyone involved, I have not had near the problems that most have reported my only real issue has been with the caller id and thats it. Your best bet would be to deactivate the R15 when you get the tivo and place the R15 in the closet until all the bugs have been ironed out.

3. Feb 7, 2006 #3 of 83
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I can't really argue with anyone that has given it a shot... but

a) As compared to the blazing fast menu's of the TiVo units?
    b) Okay... I have to check my TiVo... what do they show up there as?
    c) Fair enough
    d) That probably isn't going to change any time soon (reference to the auto corrections)
    e) From what I am told, that the Next Next software release may introduce a feature similar to 30 second skip
    f) TiVo has the same rules, just adds "All with Duplicates, to override the 28 day rule"... but I do agree something similar to the 28 day rule needs to get in there
    g) That should improve with the next software update.

As for your show not being recorded... yep that is a big problem, one that I hope they fix soon.

As for "gutting" the box... I would have to agree with Mavrick... You can get 160gb hard drives for dirt cheep now... I wouldn't gut the R15 yet... Shelf it... sure, but wait a few months before gutting it... because as of right now, there is no process to put the image back on the drive... If you do want to come back.

4. Feb 7, 2006 #4 of 83
    walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    It starts with "Manual:" but that's followed by the name of the actual program that was playing at the time. Novel idea, huh? Hope they didn't patent it. :grin:

5. Feb 7, 2006 #5 of 83
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    :) I don't think I have actually ever done a manual record outside of testing purposes... thanks for the update.

And if they did patent it.... I think that one would be a very quick case in court... not in favor of TiVo... :hurah:

6. Feb 7, 2006 #6 of 83
    Cyberdude

Cyberdude New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Hey, DTivoFan, I hear you loud and clear. We used TiVo for about 2.5 years and had very few if any complaints EXCEPT we needed more recording space. So for Christmas I ordered "an upgraded TiVo with a lot more disk space". What a surprise when we turned it on. Gee, TiVo sure has changed their format a lot, we kept saying. In short, we have experienced most of the problems listed on this forum. It took us awhile to figure out that we didn't have a TiVo unit at all. We got something called an R15. DirecTV didn't bother to tell me that they didn't offer TiVo any more. So after two months of use and returning one R15 for another (refurbished) and spending between $200 and $300 in the process, we still have what we consider a seriously inferior receiver (from a user's standpoint), and I have no idea how to put the R15 in a closet and revert to buying a "larger" TiVo unit. It seems we have a 1-year contract with DirectTV so it will cost us $175 (as I recall) to stop using the R15. What a bummer. Why in the world would DirecTV decide to stop using TiVo when they have so many satisfied customers?? If they had just replaced it with an improved equivalent to TiVo, or even nearly the same. We are mystified by the whole thing.

Actually my question is, how does one work directly with TiVo? Does the TiVo include a receiver or do I still use a DirecTV receiver? Once hooked up, will we see all the old TiVo features we've come to love so well? What about monthly charges? We've always paid one DirecTV bill that included the TiVo. How does TiVo interface with DirecTV? Is it a unit that plugs into the DirecTV receiver?? How much can I expect to pay for a TiVo unit?

7. Feb 7, 2006 #7 of 83
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The "time commitment" is not tied to the physical reciever, it is tied to your service account.... So you can deactivate a piece of equipment, so long as you keep your service account open for the comitment time frame.

That is how you can "shelf" a unit.

There had to be reasons why they wanted to shift... but last I checked, none of us where in the board room during the discussion between DirecTV and TiVo so anything we say is just "rumor" mill stuff... the fact is that DirecTV and TiVo are parting ways...

The R15 ceratinly has rough edges, and some gashes... hopefully after another few software releases, these first few months will just be in the past.. (Just like Tivo rough start is in the past).... Hopefully, but time will only tell.

As for your other questions:

If you want to get a unit directly from TiVo, Inc... you will need a seperate DirecTV reciever... There is no longer a product sold from TiVo, Inc. that has an integrated DirecTV box.

You would also have to pay TiVo's service fee ($13 a month, or $300ish for lifetime), and the DirecTV service fee (minus the DVR fee, since you are not using one of their DVRs). You would only have 1 tuner, and probably at 1/3 of the recording space (if you keep the TiVo inc unit at BEST mode, and if you drop down to BASIC mode... you are going to have a significant change in Picture quality).

You will gain the navie support for the networking aspects of the TiVo unit, and all that it gaves you.

How it interfaces: Output of the DirecTV reciever to the TiVo unit. Then the TiVo unit will connect via Serial cable or an IR blaster, so that it can tell the DirecTV reciver to change channels.

TiVo units for a 40hr unit are about $49 right now after rebate

8. Feb 7, 2006 #8 of 83
    Cyberdude

Cyberdude New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks for the reply, Earl. Clears a lot up. I definitely want two-tuner support, so I guess I'm stuck with the R15. (Pfffft!)

"So you can deactivate a piece of equipment, so long as you keep your service account open for the comitment time frame."

Just what does that mean? Does it mean that I have to pay for the use of the R15 even if it's in the closet? Or does it mean I will have a reduction in monthly fee, but I have to stay with DirecTV for a year? I have no real quarrel with DirecTV programming, and I would want to continue it. I just wanted a much larger disk capacity. It is my understanding that my R15 has a 100 hr capacity.

9. Feb 7, 2006 #9 of 83
    DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    Or...

For the price of shipping, I'll trade you a Series2 DirecTV DVR with TiVo (40 hr.) for your R15!

Are people going to get tired of me offering this trade? :) As much as everyone HATES their R15, no one wants to give one up!:p

Ricky

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No.. you can deactivate it so you no longer pay the $4.99 mirroring fee.

You basically just pay for the "Total Choice" or what ever programming package you selected.

The R15 has ~100hr consumer recording time...

Did you have a DTivo before? You could consider upgrading that hard drive, or the one that DesignDawg is offering, with say a 250gb hard drive, and get over 230hrs of record time.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I offered the same thing since November, and haven't had anyone take me up on the offer...

:D

12. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    Darnedest thing, isn't it? Everyone hates thing thing but wants it. And (especially at TCF) everyone HATES DirecTV and thinks it's pure evil, but nobody will switch away from it. Hmmm....

Ricky

13. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    One of the better "ideas" I've heard for the DTV/Tivo split was that Tivo wanted to end the "exclusive" portion of their contract with DTV. ie. in negoiations with other providers such as Komcast. Add to that Rupert's ego you've got plenty of material to end a marriage.

14. Dukie

Dukie Mentor

Feb 6, 2006
    I was forced into the R15 when my HDVR2 died (constant reboot). After 4 days of frustration with the R15, I punted and replaced the hard drive in the HDVR2 so I can have TiVO again. Yea!

However, the R15 will be demoted to the bedroom until that they can fix the software defects. There are advantages to the R15 if they get it working right.

15. samo

samo Mentor

Nov 9, 2002
    Walters (if you are Walters I know from TiVo forum :)) you had TiVo for long enough to remember that original TiVo software didn't label manual recordings either. If I recall it right, manual recordings not been labeled until version 3.0 (about 2-3 years after original TiVo was introduced). Let's give DirecTV a chance to fix it in a next year or two. :rolleyes:

16. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    That's right. DTV started developing their "new and improved" DVR in a void. I'm so sick and tired of this "give these new guys a chance" line.

"Oh it took Tivo a couple of years to get it right so we should give DTV a couple of years to get their new product right.".

Meanwhile, in the real world, Tivo had released a Series 3 (and if you include a couple of years) possibly a Series 4 Tivo.

walters wasn't talking about a 30 second skip here, or the 28 day rule, or even having shows record when they should record. He simply mentioned what a Tivo shows under the UI. A menu item.

EDIT: I'm willing to wait and see, but not for a year or two.

17. Brennok

Brennok Legend

Dec 23, 2005
    I would have taken you up on the offer if you were offering an even trade, a R15 for a 100 hour Series 2 Directivo and not a 40gig or 35 hour series 2. Instead I have 2 R15 sitting on the shelf in the closet for the day they may actually improve them. They work well for when friends come in town and crash at my house in some of my spare rooms, but then again they never use them to record and only to watch live tv.

18. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, that's me. :)

I don't accept "give them time". NDS's XTV has been around about as long as the DTiVo. Actually, their website claims they were the first integrated DVR, but I think I once proved elsewhere people talking about their purchased DSR6000s at about the same time others were talking about seeing a prototype XTV box at a show.

19. samo

samo Mentor

Nov 9, 2002
    Cnanged the smilie in my original post. Do you sence now the sarcasm in my last sentence? :) I think that even TiVo's approach with "Manual: + few letters of show name" is rediculous. I couldn't care less how the show was setup to record. Dish has it right. Even if it shows in a timer menu as manual recording, after show is recorded it listed under show's name. And that is how it should be done.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    But what do you do with a manual record that you set for an 8 hour block, list the title of every program that cross that large block?

IMHO... we are harping on a feature that is probably one of the least used (in genearl accross all DVR users), with regards to setting up programs to record.

IMHO... Both the R15 and The TiVos should provide a method where you can "change" the title of a program... As i keep about 10 Jimmie Neurtrons on my TiVo for my son, I would love to change the titles to something more descriptive so I know what they are without having to open the INFO windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.