1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Tired Of The Price Game!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CallMeCoach, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    Is anyone else sick of the price game with these guys? I'm about ready to do what this article says. I got on this forum just to vent about it. Price is constantly changing, I have extra charges for stuff I didn't want, and no work with me on getting HBO.

Check out this article, has anyone else ever done this? Not sure how I'd like no ESPN, but it sure beats the frustration and money I'm wasting! I think I'm about to do it.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-saved-thousands-part-2-cable-sattelite-bill-11989305.html?cat=3

2. Jan 29, 2013 #2 of 202
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Game? What game? The prices for content go up each year. So, of course the rates charged by service providers goes up as well.

3. Jan 29, 2013 #3 of 202
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Not only do you not get ESPN, you don't get any live sports, only delayed ones at best.

And then you have to futz around with whatever you are using to switch between the various sources for the shows you want. I've fiddled with that in the past and to me it just wasn't worth the hassle. Still isn't.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #4 of 202
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Prices don't "constantly" change. They change once a year in line with when all the prices the distributor (Directv, Dish, Comcast, etc) has to pay new rates to the channels.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #5 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    It's just ridiculous. Why can't I only pay for and get some of the channels I want? I only watch a handful of channels, but I'm paying for dozens of others I could care less about watching. Plus, why does the price have to constantly go up? It's even month to month.

Did you read the article? You get live sports on the over the air channels it talks about.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #6 of 202
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Which means almost no golf, no boxing for the most part. Just some football, basketball and baseball.

While you're switching boxes or futzing with some 'media center' software, I'll be watching what I want to watch easily and simply. I'll also be watching them with no ads without much effort.

All that comes at a price and so far I think it is worth it. If you disagree, I have no problem with that, have at it! :)

7. Jan 29, 2013 #7 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    I have to call once every couple of months for some new charge for something. And why is it that the fees seem to always change? Is that a government tax thing or what? Does it vary by state?

8. Jan 29, 2013 #8 of 202
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm not too happy about my satellite bill either but the convenience I would miss. Every time I look at hooking up the TV antenna and working out a DVR sytems, it ends up being too much of a hassle to even think about going that direction. Not to mention I would miss taking my satellite subscription on the road in the RV.

An alternative would be to simply cut your subscription down to the bare minimum of what you feel you really need. That has worked for me in the past when finances get tight.

9. Jan 29, 2013 #9 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    Gold makes me bored just thinking about it, and boxing died when Mike Tyson went crazy.

How do you watch anything without ads?

Not disagreeing, just thinking of going the free route because DTV just seems like such a hassle anymore. I used to love it.

10. Jan 29, 2013 #10 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    Thank you Mr Blount. I've called about that, but the smaller packages don't give me the couple of channels I watch?

I have a serious question: Why can't we just pay for the channels we watch? I would gladly pay $20 a month for 6 channels I really love. I could get the local channels with an antenna. Are we far away from such a thing?

11. Jan 29, 2013 #11 of 202
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    If people did that, very few of the channels you like would actually survive. The ones that did would be much more expensive and the production value of their content would plummet.

It is not month to month. Rate increases happen but once a year.

12. Jan 29, 2013 #12 of 202
    macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    No one likes the price increases today. Everyone has to decide what is a priority to them and what they use most. I can almost totally go without a cell phone except for emergencies so I have a Tracfone. Costs me $99 a year for a new phone, 1,400 minutes, a case, and a car charger and I always have minutes left over. On the other hand, I had a heart attack and have cancer. By the time evening rolls around I am exhausted, fall into my home theater recliner, and stay there until I go to bed. My Directv is my enjoyment then. Truthfully, I would pay almost any price for it. I drive a 15 year old car. I just go to the store and to the doctor's office so I don't need any more than that. But a priority to my neighbor is to have a new car every couple of years. One size doesn't fit all. Everyone has to make decisions that are right for them.

13. Jan 29, 2013 #13 of 202
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Perhaps you could provide some examples. Fees don't just change. If they do, customers are notified in writing. Typically fees change (if they even do) along with pricing at the beginning of the year. Yes, some states charge taxes for satellite and some do not....unfortunate that any of them do since satellite isn't digging up the streets to lay cable or anything that hampers the infrastructure, but politicians need revenue so they go after many industries now to attempt to close their budget gaps.

14. Jan 29, 2013 #14 of 202
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    and what exactly is wrong with that? We could really do without 10 channels showing reruns of Law & Order, NCIS, or Roseanne or programming like Hardcore Pawn and Lizard Lick Towing.
    People should be given the right to choose the stations they want. However, that's another debate which has been beaten to death... :beatdeadhorse:

15. Jan 29, 2013 #15 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    I will try to dig up some bills tonight or tomorrow and show how some fees have changed.

16. Jan 29, 2013 #16 of 202
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...again? Here we go. The channels you like might not be among the ones that survive. The ones that do survive would be much more expensive. This would also create a reduction in revenues used for all aspects of production. If this then leads to a substantial loss of subscribers, service providers also would see their ability to innovate and function diminished.

The short answer: It doesn't work. It hasn't worked.

17. Jan 29, 2013 #17 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    Exactly!

I have not been a part of any of those debates, but don't see why that can't be an option today. If ESPn charges said provider $4 for the channel, charge the people $5.50 for it or whatever. Who cares? I'd overpay for the few channels I want rather than get a discount on 80 I won't touch.

18. Jan 29, 2013 #18 of 202
    CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    But how do we know they won't survive? And if it's quality programming, it will survive. That's capitalism and the free market at its best. If the channel doesn't survive, then obviously not enough people liked it or the content was terrible. Saying it doesn't work is saying it won't work for EVERY channel, but who cares? Someone else will just do it better if there is a market for it. The quality channels will survive, and everyone else will have to have competitive prices and quality content. It's not that hard to comprehend. Some company out there is going to start offering that and pull a whole lot of customers away.

And the article brought up a great point: we are paying money to watch commercials. You shouldn't have to pay money to watch commercials. Pay money for content should = no advertising like Netflix. If you have to watch an advertisement, then the content should be free like OTA channels.

19. Jan 29, 2013 #19 of 202
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Exactly what? Please read the posts from people telling you why it doesn't work that way. Also, good luck finding proof that your rates change from month to month...they don't.

20. Jan 29, 2013 #20 of 202
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...because it failed before. Commercials serve a purpose in helping to pay for what you are watching.