1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what toys did you get for Christmas?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Dec 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    No DBS toys but I did get a Nightmare Before Christmas Mug and wall clock (love that movie). Also got a shower radio.

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm getting a home theater receiver. My wife and I will be using the money we got for Christmas presents and will kick in some more as one of our gifts to each other. I'm hoping for some good after Christmas clearance sales. :D

3. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Does this count? :D

It has XM!

Happy Holidays!

Attached Files:

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Shower radio? Sounds cool Chris, how does it work?

I was plesently surprised this year, the vast majority of my gifts were tech related, only two clothing items this year, both patriotic tshirts. Among the noteables, a 256 MB USB flash drive, Motorola MA361 2.4 Ghz phone to replace that Panasonic I complained about in the Potpourri Forum a few months ago. Accessories for my new PC, LCD screen wipes, blank CDs and DVDs, a few cans of air, jewl cases and a phone splitter. And my usual WalMart gift card from my uncle, which will go for an XM SkyFi Boombox and either a DVD or a pack of DVD+RWs. :)

5. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    61" Samsung DLP, Denon 4802R A/V receiver, Samsung STB for local HD channels, and wall-to-wall custom maple enclosures for all of the toys. Wife, two daughters, and faithful dog Kramer are all snuggled up watching "Bridget Jones' Diary" after the present opening ritual followed by some tasty Cinnabons.

As they say in the Mastercard commercials . . . "priceless"

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just the gift of family and friends is enough for me -- NOT!

I won't count the new Compaq 2.4 gHz notebook, the Panny 53" 16:9 TV, the 811 and the new Dish antennae config, all since August '03.

My Christmas gift to me is the Sierra Aircard 750 for my notebook, and wireless internet service through nationwide T-Mobile @ $30/m, unlimited bandwidth. I've achieved a dream - on the net and checking in with DBSTalk while doing lunch at the mall, in the car, on vacation, or wherever else I may wander.

Who needs a LAN, screw your WAN, I've got a WWWAN - Wireless World-Wide Area Network.

Sierra 750 Aircard....................................$249
    Unlimited monthly bandwidth......................$30
    Philly Cheese Steak Combo @ the mall.........$5
    Being on the Net anywhere I go..................Priceless
    Finally telling Ma Bell to take a hike..............Exquisite

Now I'm 100% totally, completely wireless - phone, TV & PC

:icon_da:

7. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Sharper Image power DVD rack!

I gave my daughter a digital camera so I would have something to play with today! :)

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    A new monitor (received early), a TI-83 Plus Silver calculator, MASH S5 (courtesy of a Amazon.com coupon), and some movie tickets.

I paid for some repairs to my mom's car and gave her a DVD player.

9. cooper

cooper Legend/Supporter

Jan 16, 2003
    XBox baby! WooHoo! All is right with the world. (Yeah. So what if I'm 32 years old and have a 1 year old son)

10. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    A 921 will be my christmas present whenever I get it....*sigh*, got the wife a Dell X3i PDA.
    Ordered some Kingston SD memory for it (256).
    Now I'm looking for a wireless router to use with the PDA.

I'm having fun playing with her new toy. :D

11. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    XM Boom Box.
    Loads of XBox games. Mostly for my 9 year old son. (Yeah, right)

Also got Max Payne, Simpsons Hit and Run (Think Grand Theft Auto for Simpsons fans), and Terminator 3. This goes along my Battlestar Galactica game that I still haven't finished on expert setting yet (trying to get the rest of those unlockables).

Am waiting for 921. Supposedly I have one of the first batch coming, but I'm suspicious until I see it in FedEx's hands.....

12. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Lucky you in GA with less hills and valleys than CT where wireless signals bite and tree coverage has NLoS for half the satellite installs. Measure your bandwidth and keep logs if you would. I'm very interested in hearing what the averages and daily ups and downs are like. Should we ever get the local nouveau riche properly smacked down and quieted(they're largely the ones stalling wireless tower deployment) we might see improvements in the future sufficient to make it worthwhile. In the meantime, we'll have to hope in CT that 802.11B hotspots actually become as ubiqtuous as the pundits keep predicting.

13. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Knives, clothes, blankets, and money. Simple, functional, and dangerous all at once.

Okay, so no one in my family could afford the $300 churchwarden pipe I wanted much less the $700 Ikebana.

My biggest present though was something I already had. My wife, us together for six years, doing well and still getting frisky in the kitchen. Looking forward to more years, and not giving up despite the ups and downs of the years.

I also got to spend a pre-Xmas dinner out with my godson and gave the little guy airplane rides around the buffet and helped him learn not to use his spoon sideways. Seeing his smile and getting hugs from him is better than any PVR or DVD jukebox under the tree.

Hope you all had some fun of some sort. I guess it depends on how you define a present. For those of you with illness that might croak you, you know another day alive is a present. After losing a number of the elder members of my family both blood and extended, I'm seeing things that way myself.

14. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    XMPCR with a 6-month subscription. DVDs and X-box games, including Morrowind Game of the Year Edition and Star Wars KOTOR. Some beermaking equipment and some fine Belgian hops, a fine silk top hat (for Lodge)...

and my wife got me a Toshiba Portable PC (too big to really call it a notebook or laptop with its 17-inch screen).

Its nice to have rich kids and a wife with her own money! :)

15. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Gamecube (received early as birthday/xmas combo)
    Indiana Jones widescreen box set
    Star Wars Rogue Leader for GC
    Splinter Cell for XBox (finally !)
    Activision Anthology for PS2 (49 Atari 2600 games on a single PS2 disc. Retro gaming heaven :D)
    Giftcards (can't get enough of those), used to get more games -
    - SSX Tricky for GC
    - Tiger Woods 2003 for GC
    - Midway Arcade Treasures for GC
    - Sly Cooper for PS2
    - War of the Monsters for $20 (YES ! :joy: )

16. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Hubby got a Honda Goldwing, I got the extended DVD versions of Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. He lusts after the bike, I lust after Legolas.

Result: Total satisfaction for both partners!

And he did take me to see Return of the King today! Life is good!

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Arrived in the mail: Journey to the Center Of The Earth DVD (Fox).
    Given to me by friends: The Hustler and All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku Dash! #2 (Now to get #1).

18. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That sounds like a very fair trade. :D

I got a bunch of DVD's and a contribution towards a new 70-300mm lens for my new digital camera. Oh, and a traditional can of cashews. :D

19. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    We're still in the middle of Christmas in my house - my wife's mom and stepdad are coming to town next weekend, so we're doing our Christmas celebration with them on January 4th.

But, so far I've received a stack of DVDs, 512MB PC3200 memory kit (for my HTPC upgrade) and a lot of very nice little stuff. :)

Still to come (hopefully!) is the P4 2.6c and Asus M/b for the HTPC. :D

20. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Haha! I thought I was the only one that waited for my cashews to show up in my stocking.

Usually followed by two bricks of AA and AAA batteries for all my remotes.....

Including the Pronto-esque Marantz RC5000.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.