1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

So why did I not know that Playon works with the 922?

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by RasputinAXP, Jan 12, 2012.

1. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I just bought PlayOn so I could stream a variety of stuff (mostly Hulu) to my AppleTV, and when goofing around with the 922 tonight I hit Home Media.

Well, there's the PlayOn server and the wife says "Wait, that works with the Dish box?"

I stared blankly at the screen and said "huh. Dunno. Haven't tried. Let's see..."

And presto-perfecto, not only does Hulu and Amazon Instant Video work on the 922 with PlayOn, but we get thumbnails for the titles, too. Unreal. WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS SOONER?!

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/ if anyone else is interested. Lifetime license for $50 instead of $80 right now.

2. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    That's great to know. Thanks for the information!

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Mine or theirs?

If they go belly-up before I die, do I get a refund?

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Theirs, I'd assume. It's already the best $50 I've spent on non-Skyrim software in the last 12 months.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    I'm not familiar with the service. You paid the license then discovered it is already on the 922, or is it you need to pay the license to use it?

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You pay a license fee to use the streaming service through a PC, Boxee, Roku or other device. He just discovered that the 922 is one of those usable devices.

7. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    A friend has playlater and loves it. [ with his roku]

He uses it with netflix.

cheers

8. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Pretty nice that you've been able to find a way to stream video through a VIP922 when Dish has pretty much given up on doing that.

9. lownote2

lownote2 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Wow... I'll have to check on mine. Funny thing is the 922 isn't listed on the site as a playable device. (or if it is, I missed it.)

10. lownote2

lownote2 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Oops. My mistake, I caught it myself. 922 isn't a playable device, but will read it through your network if you have the device.