1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance 7/14/2010 (Top 7)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:

Who are your favorites?

1. AdéChiké Torbert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ashley Galvan

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Billy Bell

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Jose Ruiz

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Kent Boyd

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Lauren Froderman

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  7. Robert Roldan

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here we go again .. From Twitter earlier today from Cat ...

"Alex is doing well! He had his operation and is on the road to recovery! Great show tonight-don't miss it!"

Too bad he had to be gone so early. Lucky for the other folks, though. Now it's time for one of them to leave.

2. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    This has been the most frustrating show to watch tonight. We've had a tornado watch in effect since about 5:00, severe thunderstorm warnings for neighboring counties with scrolls and voice overs and glitches in the audio and video. I think the only dances unaffected have been Jose's two dances. I'm not finished watching yet, but very little is left. Based on the dances I saw, I think Dominick outdanced Jose by miles, and the judges were too kind.

I still can't believe Mia makes the comment to Kent that he has a great chance of winning--while he's standing next to Adechike. Geez, Mia, have a little tact! You don't have to spew out everything that goes through your head! Mary, my ears are rested. Come baaaack!!

Thanks to Adam for actually telling a dancer how to be better. Nigel used to do that very well, but apparently has given it up. :nono2:

3. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Maybe it's subliminal backlash for Alex's departure, but I just couldn't get into last night's show. Jose was pitiful, Adéchiké was so-so. The judges were so full of faux-drama it was laughable.

Maybe next week...

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Speedy recovery, Ashley. :)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, it was nice to see the judges finally tear into Jose for having essentially no technique. Unfortunately, they fawned all over his second dance, where I felt he was far inferior to Dominic.

At this point I'm guessing Jose will be in the top three if not the winner. That's a shame, but as Dr. Lythgoe has said before, it's not "America's Best Dancer," it's "America's Favorite Dancer."

There were a lot of times I didn't agree with the judges, and mostly I felt they were too complimentary.

Sadly, Mr. Shankman had it right when he said, "It's (Alex's) world and we just live in it." The rest of the contenders seem downright hollow.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    So with Alex gone, what does this say about the "talent" level left? Not much "talent" on the show now is there, not a single one of the dancers left is memorable. Same thing I have been saying since the finals started.

7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Oh I don't know ... there seems to be a lot of talent left if you can bring yourself to forget Alex's aborted foray. Adéchiké, Kent, Billy and both of the girls are all very talented. To say that they were overshadowed by Alex may be an understatement. Now that he's out of the picture, it'll be interesting to see who picks up the torch and runs away with it.

IMHO, the real problem with the show this season seems to be the degeneration of the judging panel. You can say what you want about Mary, but I'm beginning to think that she was the one that brought integrity to the game ... since her departure, it's been a disaster in that regard.

I no longer see the kind of talent judging consistency I used to. I've said some critical things about Mia, but in actuality, all of the judges seem compromised (biased) this season. It's as though they've changed the rules and premise, and failed to let us in on it.

It's hard for me to deal with all of the emotion given to the inspiration of a number over the talent it took the dancers to present it to us. Dances with no stories of choreographical inspiration are just as worthy of praise - few, if any, get it.

So, Alex is gone. I'm now looking for his mid-season replacement. ;) Maybe they'll surprise me and shake up the judging panel before the season ends. :rolleyes:

8. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Of everyone left, Kent and maybe the little blonde from AZ, are the only two who make this show interesting any more. The All-Stars aren't used enough, with as many contemporary dancers as there are, why aren't there more meaningful dances that stick in my head. We don't listen to the judge's comments pre- OR post Mary so there is nothing lost there. I just seem to remember more dancers from the past than I think I will from this season. That to me is not a good sign.

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    The girl from AZ is Lauren, and yeah, she's pretty good, but so in Ashley. Granted, Kent is now looking as the front runner - if you care to listen to the judging comments - but I wouldn't rule anyone out just yet; not because of dance style or looks anyway.

I realize you don't listen to the critiques, but maybe you should. Don't forget the huge influense they (the judges) have on the voters. Not listening to them is like flying blind ... you expect one thing based on your viewing, but get another alltogether different outcome because of the judging.

They all have talent (yes, even Robert) ... like everyone else, I hope the one that wins is the one I'm rooting for. :sure:

10. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    So true! If I were a choreographer, I guess I'd just say that all my dances were about a family member who has/had a deadly disease. They seem to get the most emotional response for reasons not apparent to me from the actual choreography or the dancers. They have been good, but have not been the most memorable dances for me.

I hope Ashley recovers in time to stay in the competition. She and Lauren are both excellent dancers in my eyes. I think Kent is improving and I like Adechike. Billy has lost momentum a bit for me right now, and Robert's dancing is good, but he seems a bit too goofy outside of the dances. :scratchin Jose should go home, but I doubt that will happen yet.

I am enjoying the dances with two guys (not ballroom though!). That's one point where Mia and I agree. :D

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    It's starting to look as though missing a rehearsal is the key to winning this thing. :rolleyes:

Sad to see Ashley go under those circumstances. I hope she's allowed to come back like Alex. If the offer was made on-air, I missed it.

I would have been happier seeing Robert in the B3 (fawning judges notwithstanding), but got Jose instead ... not a bad tradeoff, but not exactly what I wanted.

Billy in the B3 was not a surprise. Any other season he would have been one of the favorites, but with Kent's stunning performances so far, he's being out-danced even in his sleep.

Loved Twitch and Comfort last night. My new liking for Comfort made the experience that more enjoyable.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I was particularly sorry that the judges did not take the opportunity to give Jose the boot; instead they continue to praise his smile and attitude rather than his dancing. How disappointing.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I agree ... it sucks, and the judges are running out of excuses.

I think they might have given him the boot had it not been for Ashley's disqualifying injury. That, of course, took precedence over eliminating anyone else. Had she been a regular contestant voted into the B3, I think Jose would've gone home instead of her or Billy.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    These contestents are falling off the show is scary numbers now...

Yup...they took the easy out (yet again).

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I thought Jose hands down was the worst this week .. and that's with Ashley not even dancing. His B-boy routine really wasn't that good. I have no idea what Nigel saw as Dominick was at an entirely different level and just thinking back at what Legacy could (can) do, Legacy was much better than Jose in Jose's own style.

Too bad for two injuries as Jose would be out. He's just the beneficiary of good fortune (for him). If Ashley were available next week, Jose would have been gone.

Robert for the first time gave me a reason to like his dancing. He deserved to be in the top group. Of the 6 that danced I thought it should be:

Top 3 (no particular order)
    Kent
    Robert
    Lauren

Bottom 3
    Jose
    Billy
    AdéChiké

And I'll be honest it was close with both Billy and AdéChiké somewhat deserving. Really it should have been a top-5 and bottom-1 from the 6 that performed.

Kent stepped it up a notch. If he keeps stepping it up, he's gonna win this now. A Kent/Lauren final two seems to be a real possibility at this point.

AdéChiké also stepped it up as did Robert. Heck, even Billy stepped up the "connecting" part. What can I say. I really thought most of the dancing was very good. Jose's not so much as he was way out of sync with every performance. He's gotta go next week as we're only two weeks away from the final 4 contestants. Not sure if it's going all the way to a final-2 or not this year ( I think it might be) with the All-Stars available for partnering.

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Judging this year is by far the worst .. I was worried about this with Mary gone and it's proven to be the case unfortunately. It's compounded by the fact that Nigel has turned into something that he wasn't in previous years.

The Judging used to be (after Adam joined):

Nigel - the big bad critiquer: you were lucky to get a standing-O or all kinds words person. He no longer gives the critique of the dancers.

Mia - "I love boys" who fawns over pretty much all of the emotional dances or comes back with a staunch "I don't like it"

Adam - "Glad I follow Mia" and "That was great, Hon"

Nigel needs to critique. He's not versed in all of the dance steps which is where Mary's technical skill really, really helped. They could banter back and forth with Nigel nodding an "oh yeah" to things that he'd forgotten but Mary rolled right off of her tongue.

Mia needs to stop gushing so emotionally .. but at the same time not rail on the dancers as if she's choreographing/training them. They need to be turned in the right direction and she's probably the best in the group to do that.

Adam needs to stop following Mia. He brings a totally different perspective to the Judging table and I think his insight is valuable. He can be the "weak" Judge and be more subtle but he needs to speak for himself and stop playing monkey see, monkey do with Mia's comments. I think he was improved in that aspect this week, BTW.

Hey, at least Cat said Judges (Jiggiss) this week .. and then confused everyone with the use of the term "Sex Bomb!" :)

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I doubt we'll see Ashley again next season, BTW. She's slated to go on tour with the STYTYCD tour this year (whereas Alex won't be able to due to his situation). I'm pretty sure that puts her out as having a shot next time.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect you are right. Shame...to me...she seemed one of the top 2-3 for sure.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1 ... Almost as I would have written it. :p

20. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Hope you're wrong ... but the tea leaves seem to be falling in your favor. :nono2: