1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance 7/28/2010 (Top 6 - Redux)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Jul 28, 2010.

Who are your favorites?

1. AdéChiké Torbert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Billy Bell

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Jose Ruiz

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Kent Boyd

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Lauren Froderman

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Robert Roldan

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here we are again with the round of 6 up for an encore.

6 dancers, 15 dances .. Who's out?

2. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm expecting Jose and Adechike to be the ones leaving tonight, although I like Adechike and really think he's received a lot of criticism he didn't deserve. Because of Billy not choosing to dance last week, I'd actually prefer it if he left just from a fairness aspect.

I can't say I really watched Jose much in his dance w/Comfort, because she is really impressing me this season and my eyes went to her through much of the dance. His solo was better this week, but his Broadway dance w/Kent wasn't good. :nono2:

I really thought Robert outdanced Billy in the Bollywood number, and though Billy had a great number w/Ade, Robert's number w/Kathryn was terrific too. Interesting that Nigel mentioned in his critique that Robert was "a bit goofy" in the beginning!

Kent had a great night with another Broadway routine. His facial expressions go well with Broadway, and there is nothing wrong with his dancing, even though his partner was Jose. Kent's cha cha with Anya was well done, but as I watched, I was thinking that Adechike would have gotten more technique tips from working with an all-star rather than Lauren. It's one of the ways I think the show isn't always fair (particularly when it comes to ballroom dances), but the luck of the draw can sometimes "make or break" someone.

Lauren did an excellent job, but I actually thought she was more consistent in the foxtrot than in her Broadway number. They were very different styles with that very athletic dance w/Allison and the smooth foxtrot, and she handled both well.

I understand what the judges were saying about Adechike's foxtrot, but I felt some of it made for a more interesting dance rather than just detracting from the ballroom mode. At this stage of the competition, the judges are now telling the contestants to dance from the heart and to the message of the piece. That's not the case in ballroom as much, and Adechike (Cheeky??) is proof, because they still wanted more of the foxtrot/ballroom style/frame. However, I think the judges keep him in their sites more for his contemporary "aloofness," instead of him taking to the "acting" side of this competition, which has hurt him the entire season. I think it's goodbye, Adechike, and good luck!

3. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I did watch Jose and it was a world of difference between him and Comfort. had the number been Jazz instead of Hip-Hop .. well, Jose would have looked pretty good to be honest, but it was freaking hip-hop. His arms and body were simply too floppy especially when you saw Comfort hitting every little pop. Nah, Jose was not good in that routine.

His Solo was OK but kinda boring. Knowing that he had a groin injury gives me a little comfort that his solo could probably be a bit better if he were 100%. But yeah, Jose again fell short but he knows, Nigel knows (he said it), we all know .. Jose is likely done on the show after tonight's results. Good for him that he's going on the tour, though. He'll get better.

You saw the same thing that the Judges saw .. However, I thought Billy did a better job at the Bollywood. I guess Toni was right in saying the whole Hamburger/Pizza thing .. speaking of which, I just don't believe that Toni eats much Hamburger or Pizza .. :lol:

Yup, I'm thinking that it will likely be Jose and AdéChiké tonight as well. I think Billy connected better with the audience (regardless of dance) than Robert so this may put Robert in the bottom three with Jose and AdéChiké.

Oh, and BTW, thank you everyone for tuning in to American Idol tonight .. :p

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This show has simply gone so far downhill this season. Alex Wong was so great that it was possible to ignore all the real issues.

First of all, I don't know if Ms. Murphy was the voice of integrity, but with her gone, integrity seems to have gone as well. There were plenty of times I disagreed with the judges in the past but this season it's rare when I agree with them.

I say this again, effort and a great smile does not make a dancer. José Ruiz should have never even been on the show and should certainly have been gone weeks ago. It was certainly reprehensible not to let him go last week.

In past seasons I've been glad the judges were able to mitigate the public's mistakes. This season they seem to be standing in the way of common sense.

Now as for the good... I was genuinely impressed by Billy Bell this week and glad he didn't leave. Robert continues to grow and improve, and I liked most of what Lauren was putting out there. I feel she was outdone by Alison, though, and that the pairing was a mistake. I agree with Ms. Michaels that Kent has simply found his groove in '40s Broadway and should go there and never leave. That's not a bad thing, really.

Please, judges, stop the foolishness and allow José Ruiz to go home. You finally seem to have shown some ability to criticize, even him, and I ask you to follow through.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've always liked Ms. Murphy (even her screaming :) ) .. She certainly talked more on the technical side of things than Ms. Michaels. Mia is simply wowed by the heart and if it doesn't "touch" her then it's not good. Maybe that's not all bad, but it brings little in the way of giving the dancer something to work with.

Adam fell into that same stinking trap when following Mia. I'm telling you he needs to be the first Judge to speak, period. He actually offers some good critiques at times (from a production perspective), but too often gets bogged down by what Mia has said. If he had 10 minutes to go through the critique instead of one, he'd probably get to the point, but as it is I say .. let Adam go first on the critiques. The show will be better for it. Fortunately, they did let Adam go first some of the time.

Now as for Adams blurt out .. Clearly it was masked on the west coast, but did he actually verbalize it on the east coast or did the 7-second censor work? That slip tells you one thing: that Adam got so into the dance that he forgot he was on Live TV.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Two more bite the dust...and its none too soon.

We know its not Lauren or Kent...the others are in play.

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006

I'm rather curious as to that myself.

8. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I think that was the closest I've come to watching AI. :D

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Woo hoo!

I would have thought Billy Bell would have made it to the final four, but if that's what it takes to finally be rid of José...

10. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Apparently, more than a few people thought Billy should have danced last week. It was pretty easy to tell who was going after seeing the bottom 3--the judges were definitely going to save the only girl left. However, after seeing Billy's solo, I thought he won that outright over Lauren's.

Nigel has wanted to be nice this season to him, but telling Jose that he had "mastered" dances outside his genre was just silly. Jose was okay for someone who had probably never even practiced a daily routine of dance, but IMHO he wasn't ever much other than a cute smile--he had nothing on Twitch and Dominic that I could see, and Comfort was just drubbing him on the floor. :D

Depending on the genres chosen now, I certainly think it's Kent's to win based on who we feel is the main voting bloc.

11. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Actually, if Toni is still dancing, she would be eating a ton of food to keep the figure she has now. Ann Reinking (All That Jazz) was on a talk show a while after doing that movie and had gained what looked to be 30 pounds. She said she hadn't been dancing, but when she started another project, it would all be gone in a couple of weeks. :)

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Don't forget Joshua Allen (Comfort's cohort in Season 4 - well, at least during the audition phase)

13. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Didn't they say Joshua's name as one of the alums in "Steppin' 3D??" I may have to see that--someday. :D

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I haven't seen any of the "Step Up's"; I may rent them some day and watch them with the volume muted.

15. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Good idea! :D I haven't seen any of them either.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I really feared that last week's survivors would be unfairly eliminated. I'm so glad it didn't work out that way. With Jose gone, my faith is partially restored with the judges. With Billy gone, my indignation (over his decision to rest while the others had to perform) is placated.

To me, the best number of two nights ago was Jose and Comfort's Hip-Hop. I thought Comfort danced circles around Jose, but that's another story and probably only reflects my newly-discovered admiration for her.

The worst has to be Robert and Kathryn ... or was it that sick rendition of "Heaven is a Place on Earth"? And yes, I know the judges fawned all over it, but I'm starting to weigh their every word with the proverbial grain of salt.

FWIW, Adéchiké's Foxtrot was right up there with Robert.

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Definitely that one wasn't one of my favs .. I thought it would have gotten Adéchiké out, but I suspect it will be Lauren, Kent and Adéchiké in the final at this point. Sure hope Lauren doesn't get voted out of the top three next week.

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Looks like Ashley will not be returning next season. Cat announced at the tail end of the results show that Ashley will be part of the tour. If Fox hasn't changed its position, it appears that Ashley has chosen to tour over competing. :nono2:

Something doesn't make sense to me. Why was Alex given a ticket to return and not one for Ashley? Was Alex given the same choice as Ashley? :confused:

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    They used to not let ANYONE back if they made a live show .. meaning after Vegas selection. They've loosened that a bit it seems and have now seem to be saying that if you make "real money" off of SYTYCD (Tour, etc.) then you can't come back to the live tv rounds.

I think it's a fair trade off and I think that Ashley made the right call .. Guaranteed money or "fight for your life" again. Given the option, it really doesn't seem like a choice to me. Yeah, she would have gotten an automatic to Vegas, but not an automatic to the show.

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Hey, everyone's got bills to pay.