1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance 8/4/2010 (Final 4)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Aug 4, 2010.

Who are your favorites?

1. AdéChiké Torbert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kent Boyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lauren Froderman

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. Robert Roldan

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 4, 2010 #1 of 23
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Someone goes home tonight and then next week is the last one this year.

2. Aug 5, 2010 #2 of 23
    Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    There's an interesting article on msnbc.com today about this season's judging of SYTYCD: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38540393/ns/today-entertainment/

I certainly agree with the title and subhead of the piece:
    Poor judging is compounding problems on 'SYTYCD'
    Panel seems to blatantly play favorites and makes up new rules on the spot

3. Aug 5, 2010 #3 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I haven't watched yet. But I do agree with some of what's being said in that MSNBC article. The truth is that when all is said and done, I think this season will be considered a failure. Judging that seems arbitrary and insincere is certainly a part of it, along with problems with the new format. When you add the streak of injuries and (as jodyguercio said all along) an overreliance on contemporary dancers, you've got a train wreck.

The new format isn't the problem really, but it will be blamed. The real problem: the show needs to decide if it's going to be an honest dance competition or a popularity contest. It can't be both.

4. Aug 5, 2010 #4 of 23
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I only got to watch 15-mins or so - long enough to see Lauren and Adéchiké dance.

The judges response to both dances was predictable and in line with the content of the article Charise mentions. :mad:

I'll try and muster up the enthusiasm to watch the rest of it. :nono:

5. Aug 5, 2010 #5 of 23
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    It worked I got someone to believe me.....!rolling.

Who truly knows what the problems were (yes there were several)? My guesses:

• Poor judging
    • Not enough diversity in the cast
    • Poor use of All-Stars. You've got a pool of nothing but contemporary and jazz dancers, overload the hat with styles other than something close to what the dancers style is. Think back, how many routines were there that Twitch was involved in? One that will be a highlight (there I said it, it was memorable)
    • Choreographers that no one has every heard of. This in turn produced so-so routines

We'll finish out this season, but it'll be on the short list just like DWTS is if it doesn't turn around quickly.

6. Aug 5, 2010 #6 of 23
    Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I did watch the entire show last night, and I really felt that all four dancers did a great job. I still miss Alex though, because his dances wowed me more often than not. The judges' continual picking on Adechike is just too much though. Perhaps it will have the opposite effect of making viewers vote for him, but I'm not liking his chances to survive to next week. Of course, the judges had to save Lauren last week from the voters, and it might be she who doesn't get the votes.

I don't view this season as a failure for using all-stars though (just for the judging). It's been interesting to view them alongside this season's contestants simply for comparison purposes. I'm sure it has made this season's dancers better too through working with them. Of course, it's been fun to watch them again, and I wouldn't have believed my appraisal of Comfort would change so drastically. It's wonderful to see her taking advantage of the opportunity for growth that this show created for her!

And you are so right, Stuart, about the focus of the show. Before this season, the judges critiqued like it was a dance competition without commenting on the popularity of the dancer. This season they are judging on how the dancer may be seen by the audience and the mood created without giving dance critiques. I gained more from the comments in the past, because they gave me new things to watch for and gave me a new appreciation for the techniques used. Now I just listen to the judges to hear how off-base their comments are. It's a shame considering how many people they were educating before. As you stated, Stuart, they comment now on popularity more than dance.

7. Aug 5, 2010 #7 of 23
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Two horse race for weeks now.

The others could go home together at this point IMHO.

8. Aug 5, 2010 #8 of 23
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Yeah, I agree, Charise. Too much emphasis is being placed on the style of dance. To me, it's all good entertainment. I too have my favorite AllStars as well as contestants. As long as we are human, we will have our predilections. The sin is to try to force your predilections on others. Taking advantage of an influential position to do just that, is just plain wrong.

I think, as many have already pointed out, that the problem this year is not with the format, but with the judging.

I gave up on Adéchiké as soon as the judges opened their mouths last night. I have little doubt that he'll be leaving the show tonight. Or it might be Robert whom I didn't watch last night.

But it doesn't seem to matter, really. It looks like the deck is stacked in Kent and Lauren's favor. As soon as either Adéchiké or Robert are out the door, the sooner we can decrease the judges influense and get to the conclusion of this thing - contrived as it may be.

9. Aug 5, 2010 #9 of 23
    Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I think you'll enjoy the weird clown dance, Henry, and the other dances are very good and danced well, just not very memorable for me.

10. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I think part of the reason this season has been disappointing is because the show has been scheduled more in the last year. It's more of a treat when we don't have this or DWTS aired every week.

I still enjoy the great dancing, but each season gives us only a few dances where the choreography and dancers are just perfect, which is a lot actually. We are watching for those few performances, and though we are seeing some excellent dances, we are missing the "wow" factor on most of them.

As impressive as these dancers are, I think we are getting used to it, which makes it easier to say the show needs to change. I think this is partly resultant from starting with 11 contestants instead of 20. We don't have to watch all the bad performances the first weeks when it was clear some people needed to leave. Although as stated above I enjoyed the all-star concept, watching these contestants who are so good may have spoiled us.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Ok, I'll give it a whirl. :)

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I love this concept! Not only do we get to see some of our favorites from seasons past, but they seem to get the best out of the contestants. I think we've been privy to much more early talent this season than in the past.

It doesn't really matter who wins it by name any more ... we already have our champion, and the fact that we lost him to an injhury only serves to give another young dancer a much needed break ... all-in-all a positive.

I hope the format continues. I hope it attracts more gifted young people who see with their own eyes what every All-Star had to do to make it.

I also hope they do something about the erratic judging. These kids don't deserve to be manipulated in this way. And if they can't fix that, then cancel it and let another network take a crack at it.

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I meant to make this point earlier as well. The dual season of So You Think You Can Dance last year caused this season to start off tired. Then it was coupled with a Judging shift and and a snafu of injuries.

I definitely don't think the All-Stars was the problem. Those guys did great and only added to the show, IMHO. The judges themselves did not have a chemistry at all. Even self-congratulatory Adam can be a valuable Judge when he doesn't play follow the leader.

My personal opinion is that Mia was not a good addition to the panel. Given the choice of Mia or Mary as Judge, I much prefer Mary.

Injuries .. ugh .. Perhaps this is the one area where having an All-Star is not such a good idea. Maybe folks were being pushed too hard because the All-Stars had just enough more above the contestants to create a ripe environment for injury. 3 weeks in a row?

Nigel is also probably a bit tired .. 3 US Series in a row with on British Series mixed in. Perhaps his lazy Judging is simply related to his getting tired.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK, assuming AdéChiké doesn't make it after last night (haven't seen results yet) .. He gave what I think is the best farewell ever on this show top to bottom, beginning to end.

15. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I think I just glossed over it, but you are right, Doug. It was quite moving, and I like him even better for it.

And, Doug, I want to thank you for starting the thread all these weeks. :biggthump I can never keep track of the dancer's names, mostly in the early weeks, and I doubt I would have started it. Just one more week to go...

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I just watched the performance show and I'll say... AdéChiké has a lot of heart. His speech was more memorable than any of the dances.

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    An articulate and classy exit last night. I didn't particularly care for his dancing for some time, but his stock raised in value after his departure oratory.

18. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I know we enjoyed the clown dance.

Speaking of memorable dances, I figured out why some dances stick with me personally more than others, the song that was being danced to. As I drove to work this morning I heard the Rhianna/Eminem song that Comfort and AdéChiké danced to and immediately thought of that dance.

As to the results: HDTV hit it on the head perfectly and my wife even said the same thing; most of his dancing, while technically sound, was boring.

19. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Two of his best dances were this past Wednesday night in my opinion. I felt his joy was apparent in the African jazz number, but then the judges ripped him for being "too technical." The kid just couldn't win with them. And I did like his solos, where Lauren's are just a hodge-podge of moves to me.

The choice of song can make a huge difference, though I haven't been familiar with many of the songs beforehand anyway. There are a few, however, that I've sought out after hearing them on this show, like Mercy last season and Tightrope from last night.

Anyway, I think we are all happy with the final three, and I hope they all get some great choreography to show us next week!!

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I wouldn't say I'm happy with the final three but I guess the bottom line is they are the best three non-injured dancers of the top 11. They deserve a lot of credit for their hard work, though, and I'll give them that.